Parts washer solvent pumps

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, need to rig up a solvent pump good for mineral spirits. Seems like most parts washers are now water based to keep the greenies happy. I happen to like mineral spirits and the replacement pumps only seem to last a month or two.

Does anyone know of a solvent pump that could be rigged? Would not necessarily need to be submersible if it was self priming.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I used a cheap submersible (parts wash ?) pump that I picked up on e-bay. It looks like an aquarium pump. The only problem I have with it is that it sometimes trips the GFCI when turned off. I couldn't figure exactly what the cause is so I added a light to the circuit that I keep on when switching the pump on and off. That prevents the trip out.

I think it may be some kind of inductive kick that goes back on the none switched leg to unbalance the current at the GFCI.

I use a parts cleaning solvent available from Tractor Supply. It's very similar to mineral spirits.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
carter fuel pump and a 12 volt power supply. used one for years with a surplus stainless sink, a trans-dapt remote oil filter, fram ph8a filter and a 120# oil drum as the tank to make my own parts washer.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
carter fuel pump and a 12 volt power supply. used one for years with a surplus stainless sink, a trans-dapt remote oil filter, fram ph8a filter and a 120# oil drum as the tank to make my own parts washer.

What a great idea...thats the solution I've been looking for. I assume the filter was plumbed into the pick up side of the pump. Then pump out-put ran to a spicket and a brush which were usable in the sink. The sink as the tub sitting atop a 16 gal barrel where fluid would then go down the drain and into barrel, then a pick-up at near bottom plumbed to the filter to start all over. Brilliant, thank you!! Gonna build it tomorrow...

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My parts cleaner is home made from part of an old heated solvent tank that I got many years ago and finally converted to what I use now. It has a diamond plate platform with some perforated material in front for the solvent to flow through then back through a maze to a sump in back where I pump it back up through a soft clear plastic hose. It works well for me and was cheap.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What a great idea...thats the solution I've been looking for. I assume the filter was plumbed into the pick up side of the pump. Then pump out-put ran to a spicket and a brush which were usable in the sink. The sink as the tub sitting atop a 16 gal barrel where fluid would then go down the drain and into barrel, then a pick-up at near bottom plumbed to the filter to start all over. Brilliant, thank you!! Gonna build it tomorrow...

no, I used the filter on the discharge side of the pump to remove suspended particles. used a pickup screen on the inlet side. the pump lasted about 8 years of constant use before needing to be replaced.

Used a loop of copper tube (vs the faucet). many of the cheep $1 paint brushes from menards with the bristles cut short.

pump probably would have lasted longer with the filter on the inlet side.