Video software

alldodge

Staff member
Looking for some video SW that has a bit more then windows movie maker. Just barely used movie maker but not able to figure out how to put things like words, arrows and such. I'm planning on making some vids of my helm when doing some runs for collection of data.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not sure it helps, however I use handbrake for converting the large vids to emailable ones at work. I know it has cropping tools, and a few more.

southkogs may have a suggestion

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like handbrake is about like the one in windows. can save it in a small file, cut the ends, split and put back together, but not a lot else. Appreciate the comment

Also don't think that putting someone name "@" doesn't do anything for notifying, just like still no email. Have placed others in it and they never showed up on the thread

southkogs

Staff member
AllDodge - did it work?

Lotsa' options out there: and I'm spoiled rotten because I have the Adobe suite at my fingertips :) So, I do quite a bit in Premier Pro.

If you have any Apple products, iMovie is not a bad option at all. VideoLAN (VMLC) is an open source editor that I've messed with some on both Windows and Mac. It's a rather capable editor. Another that seems pretty impressive for open source is OpenShot (https://www.openshot.org). I've not used it too much, but it seemed pretty good.

You can subscribe to Adobe for 30 days at a time, so if you wanted all of the power of something like Premier Pro you could pay $80(ish) for 30 days. Drop the subscription (no penalty) and hit it again when you wanted to use it. Not cheap ... but if you only need it for a little while, it's not terribly expensive ... and it'll do ANYTHING.

alldodge

Staff member
did it work?

Nope

I got a message listing of someone posting in a thread I'm subscribed to but nothing so far as the name posting

I have acrobat pro but its old and didn't have the movie stuff. Just remember I have Corel 10 with a movie/vid something on the home computer (one only used for taxes and home stuff). All my stuff is windows

Willing to buy something but if I don't have to then that's better. I bought MEFIBurn SW, so this season I plan to setup the laptop with Scanner Pro in display, FAST AFR meter, and all my gauges videoed using my GoPro. This way I can look thought it while I'm going through the different rpms and seeing what is and is not on target.

Might be good if I can point out things that folks might not notice in the vid or make comments as I see them. Then going to show these vid youtube (probably) to outhers to get their opinion

alldodge

Staff member
Just noticed adobe is appears to be all plan mode, you don't get to just buy the SW. I don't like that, its like renting something and that's a no go for me

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure if it'll help you, but you can put text and arrows in with Movie Maker.

Use the "Caption" option..
Enter text as normal, and you can set the time it starts showing and how long it shows for.
If you change the font to "Wingdings3" you'll get arrows etc..
You can move the text around the screen to place it where you want it etc...
You can highlight them too for extra emphasis..

Well here's a video that shows how to do it if you don't want to have to buy anything else..
It's certainly not "Pro" level, but it can work..

Hope it's helpful.....

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh, and since it's not "Pro" level software, it actually limits you to 1 caption at a time in any given timeframe.. (If you have a caption showing for say 7 seconds, only one caption can be added for that 7 seconds.)
There is a way around that though..
Set up one set of captions throughout your movie. then export it to a new movie.
Then edit it again by opening that exported movie (with first round of captions), and adding another set of captions. (Can't edit the previous ones now though..)

I'm thinking a better video editing software is what you really want, but again, just ways to do what you want with what you have..

I do this a lot with Movie Maker, but I need multiple captions so infrequently I just put up with the limitations.. I can't justify the extra expense for my situation.

I did manage to find a video describing the exporting and adding more captions..
He's a little tough to follow at first, but it becomes clear what he's doing and it's pretty much what I do when I need more than one caption (arrow and text, or multiple text) in the same timespace in a particular video..

Again, I hope it helps if you choose to continue with Movie Maker..

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, guess I'm going to need to spend some more time with. Looks like it does do more then first thought

southkogs

Staff member
Just noticed adobe is appears to be all plan mode, you don't get to just buy the SW. I don't like that, its like renting something and that's a no go for me
You can go back a few versions and find a copy of Adobe Premier CS5 for windows. That would be a purchase, but I don't know how much it would run.

VRLC let me do all of what you were mentioning - even putting an overlay on a video with a logo splash or text. iMovie will do the same thing too.