Boat Glass

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Is boat glass tempered glass? I'm guessing Yes but want to verify. I have side windows I'm thinking about cutting down for more elbow room around the steering area and give me more open space towards the back. If not; need suggestions for something that would work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on what the manufacturer used. what are you working on.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
One of those Bayliners that nobody likes. Its a 1700. I took the back glass off to give more room. Was wanting to cut the front side glass down or replace with something decent. Any help?

southkogs

Staff member
Were those frames built on the gunwale or were they integrated into the fiberglass? I know the boat, just never been close enough to tell for sure.

I'm wondering if you could just replace the frame with one you like better.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
The frame is two piece; separates in the middle. Back glass came off easy. Still have the center post about a foot high screwed down The frame is attached over the front glass. Want to cut down that glass into "something like a fan; but a different shape. if need to could buy something that would work. Just open for suggestions.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
hit a plastic shop and get acrylic sheet

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott; will probably end up doing that.Any special kind; brand? Definitely want scratch resistant

Scott Danforth

Staff member
scratch resistant and UV stable. find one that advertises boat windows

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
OK; know what ask for.Only two or three shops here. I try to buy local. Thanks for the help.