Door switches

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone tried to clean door switches? I'm talking about electric door locks; window; etc. I had to replace a mirror switch on a '03 F150. Cost $15; free shipping; took 15 minutes to change out. Got a '03 Ranger with a intermittent door lock switch, $52 for a simple STDT switch. Not!

bigdee

Commander
On most vehicles they are very easy to change out without having to remove door panel. I try to clean them first,either with contact cleaner or by dripping rubbing alcohol on them. Some are membrane type that can't be cleaned. You can usually find used ones on ebay for cheap.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Are you sure the problem with your door locks is the switch? On my '05 Ford F150, I have an intermittent problem with several of the door power door locks not working. It turns out the problem isn't the switch, but an actuator that controls the lock. What what I've learned, this is a common problem on Fords. They can be repaired, but the repair isn't 100% certain to work and it often won't hold up for very long.

As an aside, the intermittency of the problem is really interesting; two of my locks were occasionally failing to work last Fall. Since it's been cold, however, they've worked fine. I don't think this behavior is unusual for actuators going bad, but it's interesting that they've been working flawlessly all winter.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
What's strange is the day after I started this topic; it started working. Unlike the mirror switch (was dead on one side). Replacement was cheap and easy.. This switch isn't cheap; or (to Me) reasonable. I'm guessing moisture or dirty contacts too; I have the same problem with the "door ajar" switches. Can spray those up by the jamb. The actuator could be dirty or have moisture. Haven't got a clue where it is; but have a S/M.
I'll try BD's thing with the alcohol or contact cleaner sparingly from the topside and will post the outcome. Thanks to you both for the advice.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i used to install DIRECTV (and service work etc) so many times customers would tell me their report was not working right. I told them $10 if I fix it, owe me nothing if I don't. 90% of the time my alcohol and q-tips cleaned spilled liquids off the cuirit board. There is a good chance something was spilled on it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
What's strange is the day after I started this topic; it started working. Unlike the mirror switch (was dead on one side). Replacement was cheap and easy.. This switch isn't cheap; or (to Me) reasonable. I'm guessing moisture or dirty contacts too; I have the same problem with the "door ajar" switches. Can spray those up by the jamb. The actuator could be dirty or have moisture. Haven't got a clue where it is; but have a S/M.
I'll try BD's thing with the alcohol or contact cleaner sparingly from the topside and will post the outcome. Thanks to you both for the advice.

Mine do this, too. They'll work for a couple of weeks, then just stop. Drives me nuts.

fishrdan

Admiral
Off topic a bit since this was with a Dodge, but I had windows issues where it worked from the driver panel, but none of the passengers could control their windows.

Turned out to be a bad/cold solder point on the drivers control panel, youtube had videos on repairing it, $0 repair, switch just had to be re-soldered. Not sure if that's the problem, but the symptoms sound like it's possibly a cold solder joint. Check youtube to see if there is anything for your issue.

Our Honda has several door locks with problems, little $3 motor that needed to be replaced, instead of the $100 actuator assembly. youtubed the repair.....

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
It's sad; but good that I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll tear into it today (2 screws and the panel pops off). Will post outcome. Thanks to all again!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
To those who suggested Alcohol "Thanks"! It worked; even seems to operate easier too. Thanks again to all.