Pond Question

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Don't know how many members have a pond; but I have a approx** 1/2 acre pond and have a question.
A short history: This pond was overcome with lily pads. With the help of a local College and the County Ag Agent; they did miracle job on cleaning it up. The pond has some grass (not a lot) but some; no weeds that I can see.
To the present: went out and threw some bread and dog food out. I noticed a black area about 3X3' floating in the pond. (this is the second time for this). It turns out that they are baby catfish! The cure was to use a cast net and 5 gallon bucket. What I didn't giveaway to neighbors I dumped into a creek close by.
Went out one morning last week; threw a line out. Pow! Reeled in a channel catfish with a very bloated gut (with eggs). Told the Admiral about it; she went out that afternoon and nailed a bass in the same condition.
Now the question? With very little cover in the pond; I was thinking about dropping a small tree and dragging it into the pond. It wouldn't be a permanent thing; could remove when necessary. I have several to choose from; but mostly Oak. Won't use a
Pine; thinking about the sap. All the trees now are leafless. Any thoughts or comments are welcome!

Mod : Please redirect if necessary.

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest a cedar tree, they last a long time and are used all the time by fishermen on lakes. Game warden also have no issues with them. Tie a concrete block (maybe more if tree is large enough) to it and it will sink and provide protection for the young.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buddy uses christmas trees and small cedar trees. normally just drags them on the ice and lets them melt thru with a bit of chain to some concrete blocks

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the fast responses; I probably asked too late! The cedar trees I have I whittled on big time when I put that inverter on the UTV; it was a pain cutting grass under the limbs. It would take a spool of rope to drag them up closer. With all this rain the pond is out of banks; it is mush back there. I have 4 tree n30' tall. next to the back yard fence that are closer. She said they were tallow; I don't know; to me they are worthless. 8-10"; maybe 25' tall. Do't need the firewood either. Would one of those work?

alldodge

Staff member
Any tree will work, the issue is how well and how long it will last. Any tree you put in will not hurt the water or fish, just make it a bot more crowded.

Cedars are great because they last a long time and are dense with small limbs to help protect the young. Your first post gave me the impression that your pond is full of fish now, so trying to protect the young may have an issue with to many fish in time. To many fish and they start dying from lack of oxygen

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Put a few trees in the pond, it doesn’t matter what kind of trees. One tree in a 1/2 acre pond is not enough. Fish habitats offer more than just a cozy home for schools of bass or catfish or what ever in your pond. They also create an ideal spawning habitat, a spot of refuge and shade for young fry, a safe haven from swooping predators, and a breeding ground for algae and plankton to attract bait fish and lure larger fish to favorite fishing spots. If you provide the proper habitat you will have a real gold mine of a fishery. It takes more than just a few trees to create great habitat. Find a pond expert for advice. If there is a college around talk to the biology dept., they may have some expertise.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
More good points! Went out this morning (with Boots) to survey everything. Guessing 6-8' OOB; back fence line looks like
lake. PVC rod holders about a foot out of water. Water was pretty clear; could see some fish.

D; the pond has a fountain that comes on around 3 AM. Checked; it's still working. I think there is too much water to get
a accurate test. Last time it was checked; (? 2yrs) it was drinkable. Pond has been stocked twice '02 and '09. In '08 we had 101 days with no rain; lost a bunch of fish Koi survived; catfish didn't.

S; taking your advice with the "any tree". Just going to wait for dry weather. 13" of rain so far.

Will keep updating.. Thanks to all for their thoughts!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
One would have to ask why the pond had to be restocked not once, but twice?

Our pond is roughly the same size. My FIL put it in the early 1980's. Dammed a small creek that flowed thru a ravine in the back field. Depth varies from nothing to 20-25 ft. at the dam. The creek has since dried up. Water level is maintained from run off from the fields only. Water level fluctuates 4-6 feet with the seasons.

Stocking consisted of throwing a couple of locally caught catfish, bass and bluegills in once filled. No under water cover... no above water cover.

The fish did OK, but wild life never showed up. At the suggestion of a local Fish and Wildlife guy, we planted a row of trees around the pond. The plantings give wildlife some cover, but the real reason was to help regulate water temps and provide some protection from the sun. Added a truck load of good sized stone and in the shallow end to provide habitat and spawning areas.

Fast forward and the pond is full of life. Frogs, Snakes, Turtles, Heron (green and gray) and geese are all seasonal visitors. Pretty common to see deer down at the pond getting a drink. Racoon prints from time to time. No problems with aquatic plants since the critters keep them under control.

Fish number in the thousands. We had a down pour a couple of years ago that pushed the pond over the top of the dam. The kids and I walked down to see how things where holding up and found thousands of small 1-3" lg. fish (mostly bluegill and bass) flopping around on the top of the dam. Picked up a bucket full of fish and put them back in the pond. A popular spots for the birds over the next couple of days.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the post. The HO dug this pond in '78. (Used some the dirt for the form of the house slab). Moved here in '01; can only comment from there. After the cleanup of the lilypads and junk; the VFD came out and drained it. Used a boxblade to contour from 0 to maybe 20'. The first stock was 25 channel cat 10-12"; and 20 Koi 6-8". The second time was after fish kill from the heat thing in '08. I lost a lot fish then, Restocked with another dozen catfish; nothing else.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If all that you stocked in the pond were catfish and koi , where did the bass your wife caught come from?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Good question.I personally have put 4 bass in; (since '08) I have been told that birds carry eggs on their feet; maybe from there. There are other fish in there; can use a cast net and get minnows; don't know what they are
Was cutting grass in the front ditch, A truck stopped; was a GW. He had some bass he had got from a boater (undersize). He was looking for a place to dump them. He did. Didn't see how many or remember how long ago.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Can give update! Cut two trees down. With the help of the box blade and 100' of rope thy are in. The trunks are just below water level; I'm happy. Thanks for all the advice!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry; no pix . I Reason why is I have never attempted to set it up on this computer. Probably easy as pie for some;not for me.