Model Airplanes

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My planes were never that fancy, but I did have a lot of fun with the old balsa wood kit planes powered by a rubber band or even the gliders. At least when you broke them you didn't feel too bad and eventually they all broke.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
My planes were never that fancy, but I did have a lot of fun with the old balsa wood kit planes powered by a rubber band or even the gliders. At least when you broke them you didn't feel too bad and eventually they all broke.
Yup! I got started when I went to a hobby shop to buy a plastic model kit and saw all kinds of flying models hanging from the ceiling. When the store clerk told me about them, I got hooked. Started with with this rubber-powered Guillow's Fairchild 24.

After I learned how to actually make it fly, I bought another and stuck a nitro motor up front and filled up the tank, then flew it free flight. Once! Last time I saw that plane it was headed north at about 400 feet going in big giant circles and climbing. :lol:

After that I immediately got into RC planes. :D

Fairchild 24.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
After I learned how to actually make it fly, I bought another and stuck a nitro motor up front and filled up the tank, then flew it free flight. Once! Last time I saw that plane it was headed north at about 400 feet going in big giant circles and climbing. :lol:
That' pretty funny. Sounds like something I would do.

We had those big styrofoam gliders we played with. But, got a little gutsy with 'em and start trying to buzz the city busses. Had a couple that swooped too close to the front stream and met the windshield. Not much left of the bird after that ... but a spectacular styrofoam explosion.

If there are any former City of Detroit Bus drivers on the forums ... I apologize.

southkogs

Staff member
Gutsy flight, unless there's something I don't quite get. They must have overridden the "autohome" feature to go that far out.

Gorgeous video though.

sam am I

Commander
Stunning and yes, sorta. Only overriding (or shutting feature off) the return to home (RTH) when the remote drops out of range (yes, autonomous GPS nav'd way-point flight, [auto pilot] and both quadcopters ["drones"] on same mapped course, one above the other by 10ft with slight lag in "mission" start time).

All other RTH built in safety features still in place............Pilot/s had/took control only (but not limited to) in the first and last minutes.

First, there was Puff insulation (I prefer Dap) in a can and now these!!.........Gotta love living in the 21st century! Would love a peek at 1000 yrs from now eh? I would.......

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Sorry - I misspoke.

I've used Litchi for setting up flights and flown autonomously. But at the distance they were from the take off, disabling the RTH feature would mean that at the farther distances if something goes wrong the pilot doesn't have the radio signal to bring the bird back in (unless they were following it).

You can buy antennas to extend the signal, but with all those buildings around not sure you would reach the sUAS anyway.

Cool, but a little gutsy. But you're right: imagining what's coming next is getting tougher.

sam am I

Commander
No, I think I miss understood, but yes, "Smart RTH" (user initialized at radio) will go away by default due to the quad can't pick up this user issued command, AND with "Loss of Signal" RTH disabled, unless they're following, minutes will be turning to hours while you have to wait for it come back.......:sleeping:

So yes, if for some reason you wanted it back during a out of range plotted course, it ain't happen!!...... You're down to 1 of 3 main RTH's I'm aware of with DJI (there are a few more embedded system watch dog types left, temp, system health stuff) that still works......But it's down to the dreaded low batt RTH!!

If a system issues, prop breaks, motor malfunction, bird strike, bumble strike or mean old lady with shot gun or smack a building, your going down but, your probably going down even if you're in range..:faint:

Gutsy? Yes, totally.......

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Recorded THIS in 4K the other day, highest res she'll go.......Might need to download to see full res but, if steaming however, you can set/adjust playback in most players up as far as 1080K which makes it better.

Used Litchi with pre-set waypoints and pre-sets on gimble angles at POI's. Bird was Mavic Air up at 175ft-200ft traveling at time anywhere from 10-20MPH .........Just messing around, made me go fishing looking at the water. Seems a bit jittery though on the sweeping turn area's.......hmmm, might have to slow down and/or reduce res, not headed to Hollywood anytime soon I guess, oh well.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Amazing the quality video you can get out of those. I was waiting for the theme music to start up :) Nice job.

sam am I

Commander
Thx. Yes, I set out and was shooting for the more silent film sound track qualities but, with twisting jitters enhanced with splashing's of chroma, ever deepening forests backed by widening waterways all gently touched with a natural smokey hue to finish by. I call it......"Ode to the peoples, heart of the Awl"

Spielberg ain't got nothing on me.

Last edited: