Electrical Question

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I will exchange for a 2 pole, why I don't know, it is not called for and for this installation a single is acceptable under code, the heater will only be plugged in while occupied and then unplugged when I leave the shop. Both the single as well as the double pole are rated for over 5200 watts, but the double will break both hots, just in case I have a brain fade one day! LOL

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’ve installed both on previously said base board heaters if you’ve already got the single line break use it.

bigdee

Commander
The only reason why stoves and dryers are 4 wire systems now is because most of them have integrated fancy display screens and options which require 120v or 12v power and to transform 240v you’ll need a neutral.

Stoves and dryers always required a neutral....motor on a dryer is 120 volt, as is the timer. The reason for 4 wires is because the neutral cannot be used for the equipment ground, that is what the 4th wire is for.

bigdee

Commander
Well I will exchange for a 2 pole, why I don't know, it is not called for and for this installation a single is acceptable under code, the heater will only be plugged in while occupied and then unplugged when I leave the shop. Both the single as well as the double pole are rated for over 5200 watts, but the double will break both hots, just in case I have a brain fade one day! LOL

single pole is fine

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
single pole is fine

Which is what I will stick with as after a 30 mile round trip, uphill both ways in the snow and the rain, I found out that Lowes website tells lies and they were out of the double pole!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm sorry tor contributing to all your troubles.

Since you won't draw any current to ground a neutral is not necessary.

The reason for separate neutral and ground is that any time a current flows through a wire there is a small voltage drop. It is not acceptable to have the ground conductor to rise above earth ground. That is why we have single point grounding to eliminate current flow due to ground loops. Our love of electronics has introduced odd harmonics, mostly 3rd harmonics that can raise havoc to our neutrals and grounding.

Your heater is a simple device so you're fine with 3 wires, 2 hots and a ground. All current flows between the 2 hots.

I think we're over thinking this and beating it to death.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral