350 Chevy V8 cold start lifter clicking cure?

robert graham

Admiral
My 1996 Roadmaster with 230,000 miles and LT-1 350 V8 started during this cold weather a slight clicking(lifters?) on cold start up....stops within a minute or so. Should I add any kind of detergent or solvent to the oil to help oil move more easily or
to help prevent this clicking? Engine internals should be very clean as I flush at each oil change with Berryman's B-12 and the Castrol High mileage 10W-30 is always very clean. Any of you engine experts have any ideas about this? Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your motor is a roller motor. If you have lifter noise, you have something needing replacement. Pull the intake and look.....

There is no mechanic in a can

dolluper

Captain
Famous for injector tick as long as it pulls when operating temp drive the heck out of it..It will take it l've had 4 still have a 1996 pulls like s.not still

robert graham

Admiral
Well, considering all the miles/wear on the motor I started using 10W30 oil especially pulling the boat in the hot summer....maybe I should drop back to the 5W30 anyway. I've always flushed the engine with solvent at each oil change so it's very clean inside(so clicking probably not due to sludge/stuck lifter?).....The clicking only lasts about 30 seconds then goes away so maybe oil is leaking down out of lifter?.....I added about 6 ounces of Seafoam last week to the oil hoping maybe it would "free it up", but it's still clicking on cold morning start up....????

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'd stop flushing the engine. Engine flush doesn't lubricate so all you're doing is diluting the lubricating properties of the oil. Modern oils have plenty of detergent additives. I guarantee that if oil is changed regularly that engine is clean as a whistle. If it only ticks for a few seconds on a cold start, then maybe you should try going back to the recommended oil weight. Could simply be that the oil's a little too thick at startup and isn't flowing well.

As for the general condition, a light, occasional valve tick is little cause for concern. It'll probably run another 100K miles.

My .02

bigdee

Commander
I'd stop flushing the engine. Engine flush doesn't lubricate so all you're doing is diluting the lubricating properties of the oil. Modern oils have plenty of detergent additives. I guarantee that if oil is changed regularly that engine is clean as a whistle. If it only ticks for a few seconds on a cold start, then maybe you should try going back to the recommended oil weight. Could simply be that the oil's a little too thick at startup and isn't flowing well.

As for the general condition, a light, occasional valve tick is little cause for concern. It'll probably run another 100K miles.

My .02

^^^x2^^^ A tired lifter that is bleeding down when engine is off. As long as it pumps back up your good

NYBo

Admiral
I believe GM recommended 5W-30 year-round. It will flow better in the cold, and provide the same viscosity as 10W-30 when warm.

bigdee

Commander
I believe GM recommended 5W-30 year-round. It will flow better in the cold, and provide the same viscosity as 10W-30 when warm.

On an engine with this many miles it is not going to make much difference. Oil pump is a positive displacement pump which means its going to push the same volume of oil regardless of viscosity.

NYBo

Admiral
On an engine with this many miles it is not going to make much difference. Oil pump is a positive displacement pump which means its going to push the same volume of oil regardless of viscosity.

It may make enough difference to reduce the lifter clatter, not to mention whatever is being deprived of oil on cold starts for however short a period.

bigdee

Commander
It may make enough difference to reduce the lifter clatter, not to mention whatever is being deprived of oil on cold starts for however short a period.

A collapsed lifter is because the oil leaked out of it.....the thinner oil the faster it leaks down. Lifters pump themselves up from the oil that is in the galley. The pump delivers oil to the galley and there is almost always residual oil left in galley during cold starts. A noisy lifter does not hurt a thing as long as it pumps itself back up. The noise is valve lash of less than .100 of an inch so valve will still open and close while lifter is pumping back up. Oil pump doesn't care about viscosity, it will deliver same amount at same flow rate.

robert graham

Admiral
Fresh oil, filter, a bottle of Rislone and a 10 hour drive down here to Florida....on start up I notice a very slight tapping for maybe 15 seconds and then it quits....maybe it's O.K.?....the oil is Very clean and it doesn't burn any....But I just don't remember hearing this before this winter's very cold weather....???

bigdee

Commander
230k miles and a little tapping. Turn the radio up a bit before you get obsessed and hear that noise in your sleep. Its a tired reciprocating engine so a little noise that goes away is nothing to fret about. AND stay away from those oil additives!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And just to add....
I have an 03' Chevy Tahoe, and it's doing the same thing...
Starts up, taps for about 20-30 seconds, and goes away...
We know it's a collapsed lifter..

I just start it, let it tap, and wait till it's gone, and warm up a little.
Then I'll put her in gear and go. (I've been using the remote start about 5 mins before I'm leaving just so it has time to warm up at idle for a few minutes..)

I do the regular oil changes, (no additives) and let it be..

196k+ miles on it now, and been doing it since about 170k (ish).. (so for about 2 years or so...)
Hasn't gotten any worse. (not better either, but it wouldn't do that on it's own.. lol)

I'm not going to worry about it unless it takes a minute or more to clear up, or if it just doesn't clear up one day..
Then, I'll consider options...
Till then, I wouldn't worry too much about it..
Regular mechanic said pretty much the same thing...

If that helps any...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You might have a bit of dirt/carbon lodged inside the lifter allowing it bleed down/collapse when shut down, short of disassembling and cleaning them there isn't much you can do. I'm surprised you can hear it with that thick blanket Buick stuck on the hood. GM makes an additive 'EOS' that may dissolve any varnish/gum in the lifter. Are you sure it's the lifter and not a dry rocker?

robert graham

Admiral
With the warmer weather the slight clicking is reduced....what's odd is that it doesn't start clicking instantly on start-up....after 5 or 10 seconds, then this more of a dull clicking for 5 or 10 seconds, then it goes away.....???? Maybe it's no problem but it didn't always do this before...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does the oil light go out at the same time the noise quits? Your LT-1 one has about 6 feet of oil cooler lines from the filter adapter to to the radiator and back...

robert graham

Admiral
Does the oil light go out at the same time the noise quits? Your LT-1 one has about 6 feet of oil cooler lines from the filter adapter to to the radiator and back...

No, actually the oil light goes off almost instantly when engine fires up....which is almost as quick as you turn the key.....wonder if this little sound could be something other than a lifter?.....

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
It is not uncommon to have a little clicking or tapping noise come from the lifters when first started in cold temperatures. As long as it resolves in a short time it probably is not a real problem. I’d try a lighter wt. oil like 5-30. In fact I’d try a synthetic 5-30 oil at least in cold times of the year. I think that combination may likely resolve the problem.
One other thing you should stop flushing your engine. There is zero, no, nada need to flush it. Some manufacturers even advise against flushing the engine. If you are changing your oil and filter at regular manufacturers specified intervals , the oil will keep your engine perfectly clean. There is plenty of additives and detergents in modern oil to keep engines clean. The flushing does nothing and is a waste of money and time.

Last edited: