My Winter Hobby

tpenfield

Staff member
I found a better location to mount the light. Not sure why I didn't think if it in the first place. :noidea:

IMG_1849.jpg

Of course there is no snow in the forecast. It was 60 F here yesterday . . . about the same temp as in Florida. :)

Maybe in a couple of weeks things will swing the other way and I can put the machine to use.

harringtondav

Commander
...the Mercades looks jealous. Friggin snowblower gets the garage.

BTW, by putting that 10 hp on your older 24" you've created a beast. My FrankenDeere 24" has an upgraded 8 hp Tecumseh from it's original 5 hp SnoKing. It hurls snow 25' and gobbles thru the worst the city plows dike up in front of my drive.

tpenfield

Staff member
...the Mercedes looks jealous. Friggin snowblower gets the garage.

BTW, by putting that 10 hp on your older 24" you've created a beast. My FrankenDeere 24" has an upgraded 8 hp Tecumseh from it's original 5 hp SnoKing. It hurls snow 25' and gobbles thru the worst the city plows dike up in front of my drive.

Yes, the MB has not been in the garage in quite a few years, due to all of my various projects. :) I have plans to build a big storage shed to give the garage back to the cars.

On the Troy-Bilt, I increased the size of the pulleys to take advantage of the greater HP. I get 40 feet of throw, since I did the impeller modification on both machines. :thumb:

tpenfield

Staff member
Today was OPE (Outdoor Power Equipment) day at my house. I had the 2 snowblowers out running for a while (sans snow :) ), also the chain saw going and I cut down a few small trees. Then I ran small utility generator for a while. All of this, just to keep some fuel running through them :thumb:

Here are the 2 snowblowers out running in the back yard,, just waiting for snow . . . the Toro on the left, Troy-Bilt on the right

IMG_1859.jpg

sam am I

Commander
Beings I have a 3 phase stator (3 yellow wires and a black wire stator[wye config]).........two options,ordered these

1) 12V ATV/Motor Cycle 3 phase rec/reg........This config/type is series type (opposite shunt type), they are much more efficient, run cooler, etc. due to they open the stator current path to the rec's(SCR's this case) on a cycle by cycle (similar) basis via a controller monitoring varying line/load changes, which then, when integrated by filtering with caps/battery, results in a regulated DC output for the load/s.

2) Simple 3 phase rectifier, I might be able to get away with just using a 3 phase rectifier with a super cap as a filter and run un-reg'd depending how much the line voltage (stator's AC) deviates over the RPM band.

Going to tap my 3 phase "mag"(stator) with it and run lights, Radio (AM//FM/SW), VHF, Fish finder (frozen news paper snow sonar ;)), anti plug chute heater/sprayer (not invented yet), autonomous chute controller (almost invented), etc. You know, normal snow blower stuff........

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Isn't quite the 3 phase I thought it was, the SH775 controller works but, doesn't look like it's turing on for one of the phases. It's designed more for phase angles around 120 degrees I think (no data sheet), not in the 30's..

Click image for larger version  Name:	NewFile2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	10694858

sam am I

Commander
Used the 3 phase rec with a switching step down reg, few big'ish caps and the blue tooth phone app driven light bar.......

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cM...Xa1qNYMJfZryW2

Switched the original head lamp to one of these to save an amp or so...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YWMG9O

Used this reg...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 3 phase rec was above and added a few brick style sprague caps...I'll probably have stuff the whole works in a box someday, for now, it'll hide well enough under the handlebars console .

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
We (finally) got a measurable snow storm this weekend, so the machines will have something to do.

tpenfield

Staff member
We were away skiing in VT and got back yesterday afternoon (MLK Day) . . . there had been about 7" of snow, then rain on top, then temperatures plummeted (0 F) . There was a 2" thick 'concrete-like' crust on top.

My Toro PowerShift would dig through it, but the Troy-built would not.

sam am I

Commander
My TB struggles with 33'ish degree wet but still just white slushy snow going in.......Even with the impeller mod, it still seems at times to just poop/pump out big tube shape clumps that more or less sorta fall out the chute opening instead of being thrown up and out the chute...........It's wet heavy opaque muck usually coming out.

Just not getting cold enough around here anymore BUT, I can now see very well at night, even in color and can even strobe light snow blow :laugh: Suppose to get 4" to 6" tonight........:D

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
A9R3E72.jpg
Got a few amps left........Small stereo next year :facepalm:

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I bet, glad some was left for you MT!! :faint2:

It was beautiful this morning, sun shining, 25 degrees, diamonds all over the yard, this afternoon 35, wet, heavy snow and hard as heck to push! We only got about 8 inches and really this winter has been pretty easy, but I hate pushing wet, heavy snow!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Heres my pusher mt.I have to slice the snow in levels if its really heavy .2 passes usually does it .I made 50 bucks for 10 minutes work today .Wish I could drive around the side streets and maybe make some fun money after snow storms.
46853607361_1aab26a440_z.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
You can manually angle the plow both directions and its winch operated of course.There was an option when I assembled it for 48 or 60 inch width.I went with 60.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I looked at a blower that had a self contained 13hp honda engine.Too pricey for my small yard .How does that one run,hydrolics?