Tree question

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I was out trimming some lower limbs on the trees in the back forty ;and noticed that a lot of them had what I would call bulges; or some type of growth on the truck. . It is not from limbs being cut off (by me). They are various sizes and shapes; do not have any sap or fungus looking stuff. All of them are oaks. I had a tree cut don several years ago; and was told that people would buy these things; and would pay for them. Anybody ever heard of this?

Sorry; can't send pictures; new printer not hooked up yet; and haven't even tried to set up on here since day one

dwco5051

Commander
Does it look like this. They are called burls and carvers and wood turners like to use them for their grain appearance. Click image for larger version  Name:	burls.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	10524231

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Mr. dw; that's exactly what they look like! Didn't think it was as disease on the tree; they look too healthy. Would probably do more harm to remove it.Thank for the info. I leaned something new today!

Speaking of trees; I started a topic on removing a tree stump back in the summer. (Didn't do a Search). If anybody remembers; the stump still standing; has lost its bark; and is looking kinda sickly. Even the ants have left it. With all the stuff thay has been poured on it; it will hopefully be rotten ough to play with.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would put the fire ring around the stump and burn it.

depending on what you poured on it, you may have preserved it. Oil for example is an excellent wood preservative

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
No oil or disel yet. Neighbor gave me two gallons of muratic acid he didn't want around his garage. I carefully fill up the holes when I think about it. (Yes; gloves and goggles)