Keep 09 Malibu or 06 Silverado?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Looking for input from the good folks here

My 26 yr old son is getting a new Tundra (must be nice). We need to trim the fleet, but keep our daughter in a vehicle for a few years - she's a freshman at local university.

Should we get rid of an 09 Malibu with about 90k mi on it, or an 06 Silverado with about 123k mi. on it? We'll have the new truck for towing the toys.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your daughter drives anything like mine, increase your insurance, and she will have killed both vehicles within a year

southkogs

Staff member
Personally, I'd lean toward the Silverado having a little more longevity. But the Malibus are supposed to be pretty solid and I know my kids have repeatedly defaulted to asking for the car with better gas mileage.

bigdee

Commander
My 07 malibu has been a solid car. Only repair has been a fuel gauge sensor. Wife likes it because it easy to drive and the 4 cylinder Saab engine gets 40mpg on the highway. Good safety rating too.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input - here's how it went, briefly (kept the 09 malibu)

I would have preferred the keep the Silverado in the family "fleet" - but it's titled/registered/insured under his name - a clean/quick deal for him to trade it on as he was scheduled to pick up his new truck this past Saturday. Also, that truck was getting pretty corroded - so it could cost some significant $ any time. Just as Southkogs mentioned, my daughter did not like its desire for plenty of fuel.

The Malibu is likely safer, may have less cost-of ownership, and should finally be transferred from Papa's ownership, to ours, so Nana doesn't have to think about it anymore. That will take some doing - starting with Nana finding the title - oh boy

Scott - know what you mean, but I am dropping the full collision they have been carrying on it - telling my daughter, if you smash it up, you're on your own
southkogs - same thinking here
bigdee - glad to hear you 07 malibu has been a solid car - this 09 has been too. Just a bit concerned about some of the electronics. But our fate is sealed now

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Just a suggestion. Dropping full coverage might be OK; but; try to keep uninsured motorist. If she gets hit; and they have no insurance you are OOL.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Red, only dropped collision, definitely agree.

Nana found the title, now to transfer ownership. Question: should it be titled to The Admiral (her parents), or to both of us? Does it matter here in NY State? Our insurance and everything, is combined.