Heat Pump Issue

Tnstratofam

Commander
Most of the standard non programmable thermostats automatically bring the strip heat on if the temp in the house is more than 2 degrees colder than your set point to help the heat pump. There are ways to lock out the strip heaters until the outside temp drops below a certain temp ( I usually set them to come on at 30-35? ) with either a mechanical stat outside or with the newer stats and an outdoor sensor.

bigdee

Commander
I would find a different t-stat. The strip heaters should not go on unless you have emergency heat selected

They will if 2nd stage setpoint on THERMOSTAT is calling for heat. They also come on every time unit goes into defrost mode usually every 30-45 minutes of run time. I installed a outdoor thermostat on my 4 ton to lock-out strips above 35 degrees (strips still come on in defrost mode regardless of temperature). On my 2 feeble ton unit I let the strips come on b/c I get tired of hearing it run constantly. Shutting down every 30 minutes for defrost is annoying b/c compressor stops... 30 second delay...reversing valve switches....30 second delay.....compressor starts. After defrost compressor stops,delays,valve switches back to heat,delay and then compressor starts. This has to be alot of wear and tear on components but necessary for scroll compressors . Older units would just switch the valve and you would hear a loud rush of freon pressure equalizing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just checked. I have my thermostat set for single stage vs 2-stage. Maybe that is why my strip heaters dont come into play until emergency heat

bigdee

Commander
Just checked. I have my thermostat set for single stage vs 2-stage. Maybe that is why my strip heaters dont come into play until emergency heat

You can get away with that in FL. Wouldn't be a good idea if temps fall much below freezing.