Outlook 2010

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Part of MS Office 2010

For some reason I can't copy and paste parts of emails into a new email. If I left click, it just wants to "grab" the whole page. I used to be able to hilite parts of emails. Seems to be acting up for a while too, slow. What gives? I went into editor and didn't see anything unusual. I'm using defaults for copying and pasting.... What am I missing? Can I upgrade Outlook while maintaining Office 2010?

Thanks,
Musky

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think its a setting issue. have Office 2010 both at home and at work, no problem cutting and pasting. then again, I usually use the pre-view pane

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
From the sounds of it your working with an ?image?, not a live email.

You can not modify an incoming email until you reply or forward.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
From the sounds of it your working with an ?image?, not a live email.

You can not modify an incoming email until you reply or forward.

Ur right. So if I want to copy parts of 1 email into a new email, I need to hit reply or forward first..... Who knew....... I was still trying to figure it out as I received the Topic update... Now I can quit :frusty:

Thanks dingbat........
Musky

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should be able to copy and paste parts of old emails...I do it all the time. I currently use Outlook 2016 but have had numerous older versions that worked the same way.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You should be able to copy and paste parts of old emails...I do it all the time. I currently use Outlook 2016 but have had numerous older versions that worked the same way.

That's why I found it odd, I thought I could too....

Can I seamlessly replace Outlook 2010 with '16 even tho 2010 is a part of Office 2010?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Are you emails on an exchange server or downloaded to your PC from a POP server.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You probably know this but you better be backing up these .pst files in a safe place or you are screwed if you have a crash.

I used to do the pop server until I decided to go with an exchange server. $4/month and I use MS 365. Also able to see my emails on all my devices and on the web.

If you have a a gmail address you can use IMAP with outlook and its free.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pop-vs-imap/

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Actually, I think they are IMAP files. Went to folder properties and that's what is displayed. I know we used to have POP, maybe that was Outlook Express. I also have Auto Archive, although, it's not setup to archive. No gmail...