Use Old Computer Monitor for Inspection Camera Display?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Once again I turn to my best technical resource. I've got an older inspection camera (a Whistler GB8803, to be precise). It has a small, 3"x3" or so monitor but allows for hooking up a larger monitor.

​I've got an old LED computer monitor with analog input via a 15 pin D-sub (male) cable end. The inspection camera video output is an RCA (yellow) plug. I'd like to hook the computer monitor up to the inspection camera, but can't figure out what adaptor I need (or, if such an adaptor is available).

​Anybody know if this is feasible? If so, where/what kind of adaptor I need?

Looking on-line at various adaptors there seem to be some that might work mechanically, but I'm confused by the technical jargon.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
spend the $8 and get a borescope camera for your phone. that is cheaper than you can buy any of the adapters to attempt to do what you want to with your existing old equipment.

the yellow RCA is analog video that needs to be "processed" to display via your 15 pin VGA cable. there are RCA to VGA adapters

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Huh. I did not know those were avaialble. If I can sell my existing borescope for $20 I can buy one of those and have enough left over for a couple of craft beers.

​Actually, looks like for a few $$ more I can get one with way better resolution than my existing one.

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can get a FLIR One thermal imaging camera now days for your smart phone for $200

bigdee

Commander
I don't think there is an adapter to convert the cameras NTSC analog output to digital....cheaper to by a small LCD monitor. I've seen them as cheap as $20.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Will you post a review when you get it please? That's a lot less than the snap on one I have been leaning towards

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Got it last week. Real easy setup to work with my ipad. Reason for purchase was to use on my lathe - when boring deep holes, to see inside and monitor what's going on. Does that real good - better resolution than my whistler. Shortly after it arrived I dropped a socket in my boat that rolled under some floorboards. Was able to use the scope to locate and snag it without pulling the floor boards (PIA).

​Sunday a drain issue came up at my volunteer job that may be another application. However, it would be a better fit if I'd purchased the 33 ft. cable model instead of the 11 ft. one :(

Overall, very satisfied with this unit.