Inverter question

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought a Harbor Freight Pole saw (On Sale) to trim the lower limbs on my trees. I was using a SawAll; and had to run 2-3 100' extension around. Am thinking about getting an inverter; Have done some reading; looking up specs; ratings; surge and drain. I am thinking a 2K-3K unit with a 15-30K watt output would work. Any thoughts;or suggestions would be appreciated..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so you would rather carry a 60# battery and a 20# inverter than run 200' of extension chord?

not to mention, its really hard on the battery

I personally would simply deal with the chords once every 3-4 months

bigdee

Commander
I have a similar situation. My pole saw is a sun-joe but very similar to HF. I use it in remote places with no power so I chose the inverter route and am glad I did. I have a Accurate-Tools brand 1200 watt continuous 2400 watt surge inverter I bought off ebay for around $50. I used some cheap jumper cables to make short leads permanently attached to inverter. I left the big alligator clips on the other end to attach to my car battery. I also run a electric chain saw,hedge clippers and leaf blower with my inverter. Also used it once to keep refrigerator cold during a power outage. There is no danger in damaging battery...the unit will shut down and sound an audible alarm when voltage drops to 11 volts. When that happens there is plenty of current left in battery to start engine and recharge.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just use my Home Depot 18V cordless sawzall, and carry a couple of spare batteries with me when I am doing that type of stuff, I have used it several times to cut small trees that have fell across our road as well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What is wrong with a 2 or 4 cycle engine pole saw? I've have one for years and it works perfectly and the cost would never come close to extension cords and inverters. Just an idea. JMHO

bigdee

Commander
What is wrong with a 2 or 4 cycle engine pole saw? I've have one for years and it works perfectly and the cost would never come close to extension cords and inverters. Just an idea. JMHO

I used to use a HF 900 watt 2 cycle generator but got tired of the smelly/messy thing in the back of my SUV. Inverter is small,clean and cheap. Electric tools also start on first try!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I used to use a HF 900 watt 2 cycle generator but got tired of the smelly/messy thing in the back of my SUV. Inverter is small,clean and cheap. Electric tools also start on first try!

I wasn't talking about a generator to supply the power to the pole saw, I was talking about a gas powered pole saw. :noidea:

bigdee

Commander
I wasn't talking about a generator to supply the power to the pole saw, I was talking about a gas powered pole saw. :noidea:

I know but it is still gas powered and that is what I was wanting to avoid. In my golden/lazy years I'm trying to get away from gas powered equipment and most battery operated tools. My 120 volt electric pole saw always starts on the first pull....

WIMUSKY

Staff member

X2 But, I guess it doesn't answer the OPs ?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Hey! I'm here and like what what I read, Looks like bigdee answered my question. My 2K thought was a guess; just wanted to make sure I was not underpowered..
The pole saw draws 7 amps; skil saw around 15; weedeater ? When we moved up here ('01) I was younger; and could handle everything. A lot of water has run under the bridge since then. There is a bunch of stuff I could do then; a bunch I can't do now. Bigdee is right; everything needs to be electric. With 8 acres to keep up; it is
not that easy. To answer everybody: Scott; Yes; in a NY minute! Mr.gm; my hand cranking days are over! I have a 6500 watt generator I bought when "IKE" hit here. It ran continous for 22 days, Ran it dry; and there it sits. Mr. MT; I do the same thing. I have a 1/2 acre pond that needs weedeating; I get about 15 minutes per battery. An electric WE would be better. Mr.gm; I bought a 4 cycle WE years ago; it weighed a ton! Dragging extension cords isn't the problem; its the distance you have to go. I've got 480' of 4 board fence to replace; and skil saw and a electric nailer would do wonders. Back to the pole saw; haven't counted the trees; but this thing will reach 9' .Mr, musky; yes it does! Will start looking for a inverter and let everybody know the outcome. Thanks for the help !

bigdee

Commander
Hey! I'm here and like what what I read, Looks like bigdee answered my question. My 2K thought was a guess; just wanted to make sure I was not underpowered..
The pole saw draws 7 amps; skil saw around 15; weedeater ? When we moved up here ('01) I was younger; and could handle everything. A lot of water has run under the bridge since then. There is a bunch of stuff I could do then; a bunch I can't do now. Bigdee is right; everything needs to be electric. With 8 acres to keep up; it is
not that easy. To answer everybody: Scott; Yes; in a NY minute! Mr.gm; my hand cranking days are over! I have a 6500 watt generator I bought when "IKE" hit here. It ran continous for 22 days, Ran it dry; and there it sits. Mr. MT; I do the same thing. I have a 1/2 acre pond that needs weedeating; I get about 15 minutes per battery. An electric WE would be better. Mr.gm; I bought a 4 cycle WE years ago; it weighed a ton! Dragging extension cords isn't the problem; its the distance you have to go. I've got 480' of 4 board fence to replace; and skil saw and a electric nailer would do wonders. Back to the pole saw; haven't counted the trees; but this thing will reach 9' .Mr, musky; yes it does! Will start looking for a inverter and let everybody know the outcome. Thanks for the help !

15 amp skilsaw may be pushing it. Saws-all or jig saw would be no problem. An inverter big enough for a circular saw would require large cables permanently attached to battery. I have a 160 amp alternator so my 1200 watt inverter does not exceed the output of the alternator. If I have to use it for long periods I keep engine running. Most of the time I leave engine off and can cut 3 or 4 trees down using a 14" 9 amp chainsaw with no problem. When I get a chance I will try my 12 amp skil saw for laughs and giggles and let you know the results. Check out AccurateTools inverters on EBAY, I got mine on auction but the normal price is inexpensive.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Will do. I was still wondering about the battery and alternator. Battery I was going to beef up to around 850 (Boat); alternator is only 20 amps (could be a problem).
again; I'm guessing 2K Nothing is in stone yet; and there is no rush.Thanks for your help. Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers yesterday?

bigdee

Commander
Redfred1, I just tried my Skilsaw on my 1200 watt inverter ( 2400 watt surge) and it worked like a champ. I even cross cut some lumber with engine off and saw did not bog down. Battery voltage was 12.7 after test. Start surge was +20 amps but amps at no load was <2 and around 7 or 8 while cutting....well within capability of inverter. I was also using the jumper cable type alligator clips to connect to battery but made sure it was a clean, tight connection.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Good Shot! I haven't looked or called anybody yet; but I'm going to town Monday. I need some electrical supplies; will check with them.Thanks for your help!!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Can give an update to those who are still interested.I have ordered a inverter; due here Friday. Will Try to hookup OTWE. Will post outcome next week. Cross your fingers!

thumpar

Admiral
Why not just get battery powered tools? The new ones are very powerful. If not that than just go gas powered. I have an inverter setup for my buffer so I can buff the boat while it is at storage. It is a huge hassle. I would go battery powered but they are around $400 for a decent one. A battery powered pole saw is cheap.

bigdee

Commander
Why not just get battery powered tools? The new ones are very powerful. If not that than just go gas powered. I have an inverter setup for my buffer so I can buff the boat while it is at storage. It is a huge hassle. I would go battery powered but they are around $400 for a decent one. A battery powered pole saw is cheap.
For the same reasons I ditched my gas and battery tools. I prefer the reliability and readiness of just plugging a tool into an outlet. Beside that, an inverter is alot cheaper then buying all new tools!

Last edited:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
The last battery tool I bought was a 18 volt blower for the sidewalk. Battery life was very short. Just guessing; a 40 volt drill has to weigh at least 15lbs; has more torque; battery life? Cost? Lugging that monster over your head or straight out (to me) would make my arm go to sleep.

Bigdee; it came today. got #2 wire. Will try to play with it over the weekend.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got everything I needed. Hooked it up;it ran like a champ! Even hooked up the skil saw; no problem! Now just to mount everything The guts of everything is the wire and the battery Thanks bigdee and the others for their thoughts and suggestions..