buying a domain name

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
There are apparently several places to 'buy' your domain name. Not sure what I'm doing but have an idea of a site I want to build and will buy the (avail) name. Question is lets say it actually becomes something one day - can say godaddy charge me a million dollars to keep it? Who actually 'owns' it?

jbcurt00

Staff member
MTboatguy might know the long term ownership of a domain name

My limited understanding suggests you are merely leasing the name as long as you're paying for the online site to be active or live, and your access to it.

Stop paying, site goes down. If its down long enough, or the unpaid debt becomes big enough, the domain name becomes available for someone else to buy.

That tells me they own it. Perhaps not intellectual property (posted content).

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh, and at the moment have someone to host the site on their server if that matters.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You own/lease it, you always have rights to it when you buy it, but you have to pay a fee every single year to have the registry keep it viable. Now if you fail to pay the the registration, the registry will maintain, the domain registrar cannot by law charge you more because it has become viable and famous. So no, you don't have to worry about that part of it.

That said, if you need help, send me a note and I will forward to my wife she has done this for a living for over 20 years now.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Tnstratofam

Commander
Well ya know. I'm hoping subliminal messaging to potential customers pays off. Even though it's Unusually Warm for February! :becky:

At least I'm keeping the " Honey Do" list caught up.:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If this winter is any indication, you will have a hard time boating from hot attics. :blue: The plus side is plenty of extra dough for boat upgrades next winter. :D

Tnstratofam

Commander
If this winter is any indication, you will have a hard time boating from hot attics. :blue: The plus side is plenty of extra dough for boat upgrades next winter. :D

:pray2: I'm praying for that excactly!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Joe!

Back to the action sports fans.

southkogs

Staff member
If it's any help Joe, I use THESE GUYS for my daughter's website. Registered the domain through 'em and everything.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use godaddy for the registration of my website and I have another company host it for me.

You can have a domain name registered without having an active website. Happens all the time.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Joe, once you register and pay the yearly fee you can do what ever you want with it, my wife currently maintains over 400 registrations for customers and they are all registered through Godaddy, they are pretty much one of the better companies these days. She runs a design and hosting company and does a pretty good job for her customers in areas that seem to be easy, but sometimes are not so easy.

I do server upkeep for her, but stay out of the day to day stuff of her business, be let me know and I will forward your email to her so you can talk.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
:pray2: I'm praying for that excactly!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Joe!

Back to the action sports fans.

In Dockside I expect and encourage a thread of mine to get hijacked. Same if we were all siting on the dock talking; subjects go everywhere. That is the magicof a dock full of people imo.

It is going to be a social forum (like a whole forum of Dockside but don't worry iboats not boating related and if we get lucky maybe 20 members... ) I was compelled to commit forum suicide on another one I've been a member of for 10 years. Made lots of friends there, a couple very close friends like we vacation together and just setting up something to keep in touch better than thru emails and texts. Some don't do facebook.

Only thing i don't like is it will have to point to another website (for now) where it will be hosted. Doesn't look like any off the ones I see can host a forum, at least a built in one. Oh well, going to buy this morning anyway.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Got it...not sure where I missed that you were hosting a forum.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yer telling me...

simple overview

I want to control my new forum from top to bottom.
I want the domain name to point to a similar, if not exact, web URL so it doesn't seem cheesy or illicit.

other than that, seems easy, right????

I have figured out the point to from a specific URL but the forum URL needs to be the same or close naming convention.

I did start on on probards and asked a couple friend to join up. We'll see how that goes then see if I can buy a close URL for them or whatever. A couple buck a year is nothing just want it to work easily.