Carb cleaning ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I realize there are tons of topics about how someone cleaned their carb(s) up for boats, vehicles and such. But I was researching different methods people used to really clean carbs to like brand new again. Some use typical carb cleaners while others use acid or base type cleaners. So I am asking, what have you used to really clean a carb and make it look new at the same time? Any method is welcome to post. Even ultra-sonic or vibrator type cleaners and solutions. I have a couple carbs I want to refurbish that are not for any boat, but it is a carb all the same.

So post your best method for carb cleaning, and be specific in the details. I am certain others, including myself, will get a lot of info and knowledge from such a thread.. :thumb:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Iv'e cleaned the carbs on my Chrysler outboard, my KZ 750 4 cilinder, and a few cars and trucks over the years. I've used carb cleaner, brake cleaner, a parts washer, purple power ( Not a good choice! ), kerosene, and probably a slew of other cancer causing solvents that are banned by the EPA. I have with the exception of my KZ's carbs always cleaned them for functionality versus trying to make them look as good as new.

With the KZ's carbs i spent time polishing the body's and exposed linkage with ultra fine steel wool and Never Dull. They looked good but after a few weaks of ridding they dulled and lost most of their luster. After 7 years of ridding they look the same and since I ride it versus showing it that's how they'll stay.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
purple power ( Not a good choice! )

Is it too tough on the finish? I used PP on an aluminum intake and it worked great.....

I've always soaked them in carb cleaner, a gallon can, and blew everything out with an air hose....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There is a video on You Tube where a guy used CLR for his carb cleaning and vibrated the solution using a electric palm sander attached to the container. The before and after was simply amazing to see. That is why I am asking others what is their best cleaning methods. I think I have tried a lot of different ideas and while they all cleaner well, the carb bodies still looked oxidized and not shiny. So I can use the spray carb cleaners like usual, but I was looking for something to remove the old oxidized look from the bodies as well. I see a lot of ultrasonic cleaners that seem to do great jobs. IDK

Tnstratofam

Commander
Iv'e seen a few videos on ultrasonic set ups. They look like they work pretty good. I had the carbs on my KZ looking brand new but with them dulling so quickly I got pretty disheartened and decided that I would only go to that level again on a total restoration done for show. I just haven't run across anything that will help the metals keep their shine. There is allot of heat and road grime that probably contributed to my bike carbs getting dull so quickly. That plus I don't spend allot of time polishing the bike. Mostly just wipe the dead bugs off my helmet and ride.:D 20160424_154625_zpsqayh3xum.jpg

Last edited:

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use Berryman's? I'd have to go look at the can. Rinse, blow out, poke around with a strand of copper wire, etc. I've had PP "grey up" aluminum castings if left too long. I haven't found anything really that brings them back to looking new.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Chemdip by Berrmans here. It will remove factory coating. Eastwood sells a spray can that will fake it as long as it isn't soaked in gas it is ok.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chemdip by Berrmans here. It will remove factory coating. Eastwood sells a spray can that will fake it as long as it isn't soaked in gas it is ok.

I have tried The eastwood paints to simulate the dichromate, to me it looked like a painted carb when done., and easy to mess up with a lil gas. Maybe a trick to it IDK.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Carb cleaner and compressed air fixes most varnish issues. Aluminum corrosion in jets is a nightmare. Usually requires drilling plugs and going deep. I keep a set of drill type oxy-acetylene tip cleaners handy for stubborn circuits. I don't typically bother polishing the exterior of an aluminum carb.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think the carbs are coated with as thin film of some kind of clear varnish. you see it chipping off on motorcycle aluminum, resulting in dull areas. I also see it o n brass stuff, when you buy it looks good, but the scratched areas tarnish after time. I have a couple of old seacocks that I polished up, for making a coat rack, and one I used rattle can clear on still looks good, The other is turning dark, I think the factory does some kind of clear on them to keep them shiny, and the cleaners take it off. I've been thinking about somehow thinning a good 2 part epoxy, and coating the parts with a small brush and being careful to not getting any in parts that will clog the system. I dunno......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha all, thanks for the replies. I am trying different things to see what shines them up. Not for any type show, but just because. It looks like the better ideas are using an acidic base solution. But doing that has its issues as well. So you have to be there and soak them for mere minutes if you want your carb to still be a carb.

I do remember back when we were flying R/C airplanes and a friend of mine used carb dip cleaner on one of his engine carbs. Problem was the carb was made out of a thermoplastic (Perry Carb) and when he went back to see how the carb was doing, there was nothing but the metal parts remaining. Yea it is funny now, but he wasn't laughing at that time. Lesson learned. This is a picture of such a carb. They were the best thing going back then and everybody wanted a Perry Carb for their engines.
PERG5001-250.jpg

More to come...

bigdee

Commander
Don't laugh......Pine sol works great. Soak in Pine Sol for 2-3 days then use brushes to get into tough places. Will look like new again and it won't harm plastic or rubber and is non-corrosive.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't laugh......Pine sol works great. Soak in Pine Sol for 2-3 days then use brushes to get into tough places. Will look like new again and it won't harm plastic or rubber and is non-corrosive.

Ha bigdee, I certainly won't laugh at Pine Sol. I've seems a few videos of folks using Pine Sol. And most seemed to work. I few had issues, but I am open to most anything.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I have tried The eastwood paints to simulate the dichromate, to me it looked like a painted carb when done., and easy to mess up with a lil gas. Maybe a trick to it IDK.

You have to dust it on , not paint so it is like a candy fog coating. Still not a long ladting durable finish

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No idea, but when I heard Pine Sol I thought of Simple Green?

Perry carbs? Used them on boats....

dolluper

Captain
Any old carb cleaner , passages blown or wired out and outside of body cleaned and polished with autosol shines aluminium fantastic

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Any old carb cleaner , passages blown or wired out and outside of body cleaned and polished with autosol shines aluminium fantastic

Oh yes, dolluper, I have cleaned a lot of carbs using that spray carb cleaner and compressed air. I never polished one out with autosol shine though. So I am looking for a method to both clean and shine the cab at the same time. Seems like a ultrasonic cleaner or a vibrator cleaner is the way to go to accomplish both of those goals. :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Berryman complete soak in the gallon can, then use a homemade suction feed soda blaster (air compressor nozzle with a feed tube) with the bag of media from harb freight

KRS, I actually did make a home-made soda blaster setup. But it takes a lot of soda blasting material with it. I need to refine it to a smaller output size. Otherwise, the cost of the soda blast material will be more then the item I am trying to clean up. :eek: