Propane furnace maintenance question

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
I have 10 yr. old Amana 93 % propane furnace that has never had any service except for filter changes. I'm mechanically inclined, have done repair and maintenance on older non high efficient gas/oil furnaces but not these new ones. Been thinking about looking at the burner/ heat exchanger.
Does the burner area need cleaning like the older one's? What kind of yearly maintenance do these new furnaces need?

Note: This furnace probably has lower then normal hours on it since during the coldest months we heat with wood. On average I fill a 500 gal. propane tank every two years.

Tnstratofam

Commander
The yearly maintenance I perform on my customers furnaces includes.

Cleaning the condensate drain box. ( This only applies ro 90+ efficient furnaces, as 80% furnaces don't condensate. )

Inspect and clean the burner assemblies as needed. Remove any rust on the face of the burners with a wire brush. Not a wire wheel on a drill!

Inspect and clean if necessary the fresh air intake, and exhaust pipe. Chexk carefully for any signs of carbon or soot at the exit on the exhaust pipe.
If any soot is found call a service tech as this can be an indication of improper fuel burn, or a damaged heat exchanger.

I always check the capacitors on the vent motor and the blower motor, but if the motors are working properly this isn't necessary.

Lastly I check the gas pressure coming into the furnace and coming out of the gas valve going to the burners. Your inlet pressure should be between 11 and 13 inches water collum. Your gas valve exit pressure should be set to your manufacturers specifications for your furnace and its respective propane conversion.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Probably the two most important things to do are change your return air filter regularly, and clean the condensate drain annually.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Probably the two most important things to do are change your return air filter regularly, and clean the condensate drain annually.

Thanks for the tips. Since I do these two things religiously and the furnace works just fine I guess I'm not a total idiot. One of these days I'll actually look inside the furnace. :D

alldodge

Staff member
Wouldn't cleaning the A coil be part of the annual or ay least semi-annual?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wouldn't cleaning the A coil be part of the annual or ay least semi-annual?

If theA-coil is accessible yes. Most are mounted directly on top of the furnace which prevents access. Although it can be removed by recovering the refrigerant and unwelding the lineset. This isn't normally necessary if the customer is maintaing regular filter changes.

alldodge

Staff member
If theA-coil is accessible yes. Most are mounted directly on top of the furnace which prevents access. Although it can be removed by recovering the refrigerant and unwelding the lineset. This isn't normally necessary if the customer is maintaing regular filter changes.

While I have not done this myself, I've had HVAC tech's say they do clean it with brushes and have never heard of any of them discuss removing Freon to do so. Going to have to ask my buddy (Run's his own HVAC Trane shop) how he manages to do it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My heat exchanger tubes are at the top of the furnace. Only way to get at them is to pull the front cover to the evaporator. On mine, it's a 2 piece cover so it is possible without removing the lines.

Tnstratofam

Commander
While I have not done this myself, I've had HVAC tech's say they do clean it with brushes and have never heard of any of them discuss removing Freon to do so. Going to have to ask my buddy (Run's his own HVAC Trane shop) how he manages to do it.

Like I said if the A-coils are accessible. If not the coil assembly has to be removed to get to the bottom of the coils.

Hence recovery of freon. Which can usually be stored in condensing unit during cleaning.

alldodge

Staff member
Like I said if the A-coils are accessible. If not the coil assembly has to be removed to get to the bottom of the coils.

Hence recovery of freon. Which can usually be stored in condensing unit during cleaning.

Sorry my misunderstanding, so back to the original question, if the coil can be gotten to, wouldn't it be a good thing to clean every once in a while at least. I know if I look at my duct work I have lint build up and I use a aprilaire 2400 filter and change twice a year

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yes the coil should be checked during routine maintenence. The OP asked about servicing his furnace which is what allot of customers with gas heat have done in winter only. While having their A/C systems checked in the spring.

To be clear all aspects of the heating system need to be inspected during anuall cleanings.

If you are seeing excessive lint build up in your ductwork then I would have it inspected for air leaks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I also check the inducer motor and the thermal safety switches (using a heat gun)