Truck rims vs caliper clearance

WIMUSKY

Staff member
'16 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4
Rim size listed 18" - 20"
It came with 20's.

I have a set of 17's that I used on my previous RAM just for plowing. I would like to use those rims on above truck even tho they don't recommend 17". There is plenty of clearance on the rear brake calipers and very little clearance on the front calipers. But, they do not rub. Clearance is probably less than 1/4".

Can I use these rims?

I'm trying to make that decision b/4 I spend good money on plow tires.....

Opinions?

Thanks,
Musky

Tnstratofam

Commander
My only question would be if you have new pads in place would you still have the 1/4 inch clearance?

If you are checking clearance with worn pads and then replace with new, the caliper may get pushed out more eliminating clearance.

Or as the pads wear thinner will the caliper pull in closer eliminating clearance.

Just a thought.:noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
Most rims flex and bit at times (bumps and pot holes), they might just make contact

WIMUSKY

Staff member
But, does the caliper move? The caliper pistons move the pads. I'm thinking the caliper is stationary?

alldodge

Staff member
The piston moves in as the pads wear, this causes the caliper to slide toward the truck frame.

caliper.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I say, after you check above, if you still have 1/4" clearance, run em

Tnstratofam

Commander
The piston moves in as the pads wear, this causes the caliper to slide toward the truck frame.

Thanks for posting. I was thinking the caliper moved while the pads stayed stationary, and as they wear the caliper moved in towards the frame.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm going to mount that rim up again and get a better idea what I have for room. I think drill bits will work good for spacing.... It's warmer today. 20F Warming up the compressor as we speak.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I have less than a quarter inch clearance on the factory calipers with the factory wheels on my Mustang. I think you will be fine. Let us know how it goes :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have less than a quarter inch clearance on the factory calipers with the factory wheels on my Mustang. I think you will be fine. Let us know how it goes :)

That's good to know. I have about 3/16". Let you know how it goes? Either it will work good, or, epic fail and money down the tubes...:eek::laugh:

Caliper moving towards the frame won't make it worse. Maybe slightly better..

17" would give me a taller sidewall and a narrower tire, which would be good for plowing traction. Stock rubber are Firestone Transforce ATs. Already I don't think they'll work very good for plowing heavy deep snow. I'm looking more into a Goodyear Dura Trak or Cooper Discoverer S/T or ST Maxx.... I used Goodyear Authorities which worked good on my last RAM.....

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've had good service out of my Hankook Ipike RW11 snow tires. Well technically theyre snow rated all terain tires, but they've done better in snow and ice than anything else I've ran over the years.

Oh and even though we don't get a ton of snow here in the mountains of Tn like WIMUSKY and Mtboatguy and some other members here deal with regularly. I've lived in Minnesota, Nebraska, and driven through the Dakotas North and South, and all over the midwest in winter, so I do have experience with winter weather driving.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Those do have a wider lug gap than what I run. Since I'm not plowing just driving over uncleared roads for service work part of the time the Hankooks work well for me. Plus I don't switch them out when the weather inproves and the roads are cleared.

Here is what I run.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Hankook/RW11+

Hankook_iPike_Rw11_lg_super.jpg

Attachments

• Hankook_iPike_Rw11_lg_super.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hankook_iPike_Rw11_lg_super.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I saw those tires. Nice looking. A lot of siping which would really grab the road. Just not sure how well that style would work for plowing....

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think the Coopers you linked to are a good tire. I haven't had a set of Coopers in 10 years or so, but the the sets I've had always performed good.

I like the tread pattern on them, but I bet they sing on dry pavement.

Cooper-Discoverer-STMAXX_lg_super.jpg
If you get them let us know how you like them.

Attachments

• Cooper-Discoverer-STMAXX_lg_super.jpg
    Cooper-Discoverer-STMAXX_lg_super.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

Tnstratofam

Commander
By the way I didn't mean to turn this into a tire thread.:facepalm:

Let us know if the 17 inch rims work.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I know guys use the Cooper S/Ts for plowing, not sure how many use that Maxx. Yep, they wil sing some, but in the summer I'll put the 20s back on. They both should last about 5 years that way.

No problem talking tires. Rims/tires all go together. I'll probably find out today about the availability of the Maxx's.....

If anyone else has opinions, keep 'em coming........ :)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I think the Coopers you linked to are a good tire. I haven't had a set of Coopers in 10 years or so, but the the sets I've had always performed good.

I like the tread pattern on them, but I bet they sing on dry pavement.

If you get them let us know how you like them.

I have ran several sets of this specific tire over the years on various trucks and SUV's and they don't sing as bad as you might think and they offer good traction in all kinds of conditions.

On the plow truck, I just run regular street tires, but I also have it chained up all the time, and it still gets stuck!

:facepalm:

fishrdan

Admiral
I know guys use the Cooper S/Ts for plowing, not sure how many use that Maxx. Yep, they wil sing some, but in the summer I'll put the 20s back on.

I just had a set of Goodyear Dura Trac's installed and was really impressed on how quiet they are at highway speed, barely noticeable over the Michelin street tires they replaced.

I have no idea how good they are in the snow and mud, but they do have the little snowflake on the sidewall... :D