HF generator

bigdee

Commander
During hurricane Matthew I lost power for several days. My old Homelite 5k generator ran about 2 hours before the fan came loose and chewed up the windings. Fortunately I have a HF 2 cycle 900 watt generator that kept my refrigerator going along with a few lights and TV. Since I have a well I was out of water (900 watts won't run my submersible well pump) so now I'm looking at generators. Comparing what I see at Lowes to HF they are all Chinese with Honda clone engines. The Hf I'm interested in is 13hp 5500/6500 watts which will run my house. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these. Keep in mind that it will seldom be used. My old generator probably had less than 100 hours in 30 years! I'm 70 years old so I'm not looking for another 30 years lol!

alldodge

Staff member
I think ya get somewhat of what ya pay for. Get a cheap knock off and it may or may not be there when you need it. Had the ice storm in Louisville and was without power for a a bit over a week, then another time for four days. My Genrac 5K (B&S engine) kept us going. Sister bought Mom a HF one and I had it running for a few days during similar time, it worked without issue. The HF sure looks cheap

bigdee

Commander
It might be "luck-of-the-draw" but I bought a HF Predator engine for my lawn mower and it beats every Briggs,Tecumseh that I have ever owned. It is right on par with the Honda I have on another mower.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The number one issue with any engine like that, is sitting. Sitting is the hardest thing for those engines. Unless you crank it in scheduled intervals, it will certainly gum up over time and when you seriously need it, you will have to clean everything up to get it running. Like any engine sitting for years, hoses, gaskets and such things deterirate. So whatever you choose, run it during the year and make it work properly so when you do need it it will work. JMHO

alldodge

Staff member
It might be "luck-of-the-draw" but I bought a HF Predator engine for my lawn mower and it beats every Briggs,Tecumseh that I have ever owned. It is right on par with the Honda I have on another mower.

Sure sounds like you answered your own question

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Awe come on HF can't run better than the big names, give me a break! LOL

bigdee

Commander
The number one issue with any engine like that, is sitting. Sitting is the hardest thing for those engines. Unless you crank it in scheduled intervals, it will certainly gum up over time and when you seriously need it, you will have to clean everything up to get it running. Like any engine sitting for years, hoses, gaskets and such things deterirate. So whatever you choose, run it during the year and make it work properly so when you do need it it will work. JMHO

Excellent point and I adhere to what you said. Like I said my previous generator was 30 years old and the engine still runs like new. I would like to hear from those that actually have a HF generator. I know there are reviews and I think I've read them all but I value the opinions of this forum.

82rude

Rear Admiral
You get what you pay for in gennys!I have an el cheepo hyundia and when i really ,reallly need it ,it lets me down.My friend bought a Polaris 2000 watt genny and its 1000 times better than mine and quite and miserly.Id rate it right up there with the big names like honda and yamaha.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
My only advice would be at least to look at propane-powered units.

bigdee

Commander
My only advice would be at least to look at propane-powered units.

Yes I was thinking of doing that since I have propane heat. There are LP conversion kits for the HF that would make it duel fuel. I have confidence in the HF engine since the that same engine is used on many name brand generators and equipment. I was more concerned about the reliability of the generator head and its AVR. I prefer a generator with brushes instead of brushless and the HF does have brushes/slip rings so that is a plus.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a Yamaha and I wouldn't own another generator that isn't an inverter type. A lot less loud at low loads since it doesn't have to run at a constant RPM.

bigdee

Commander
I have a Yamaha and I wouldn't own another generator that isn't an inverter type. A lot less loud at low loads since it doesn't have to run at a constant RPM.

I agree but I'm just getting this for emergency use only....don't want to spend that kind of money. My old generator was a Homelite cheapo, 5k with slip rings and 10hp Tecumseh and it lasted 30 years. It made fairly clean power. The brushless designs do not have that good of a AVR.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I have a HF Generator Model 94191, it is a 13 HP engine, 7500 W rated. I have over 550 hours of run time by the hour meter on it, Last year i had to put a new exciter in it. It is pull start/electric start. I have never been able to pull start it. The generator starts, I let it idle about 30 sec to a minute before loading it up. IT will run my house great. I dont consider it CLEAN power, so i dont run the TV's or Computers on it without running through a surge protector but I have no complaints on it.

I can run at 50% LOAD for 8 hours, There is a propane kit you can buy that costs about $100.00 to run propane. It isnt dual fuel though so i did not convert mine. This cost me about $500 in 2006 and is still going strong.

bigdee

Commander
I have a HF Generator Model 94191, it is a 13 HP engine, 7500 W rated. I have over 550 hours of run time by the hour meter on it, Last year i had to put a new exciter in it. It is pull start/electric start. I have never been able to pull start it. The generator starts, I let it idle about 30 sec to a minute before loading it up. IT will run my house great. I dont consider it CLEAN power, so i dont run the TV's or Computers on it without running through a surge protector but I have no complaints on it.

I can run at 50% LOAD for 8 hours, There is a propane kit you can buy that costs about $100.00 to run propane. It isnt dual fuel though so i did not convert mine. This cost me about $500 in 2006 and is still going strong.

Thanks for that info. What do you mean that you can't pull start it? Is it too hard to pull....I was not going to get the electric start option, now I'm wondering if I need it. What did the new exciter cost?

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
bigdee,

I cant pull it fast enough due to the HP to start it. When it has been run awhile, My son can pull start it but neither one of us can pull start it when it is cold. The battery i have on mine is a lawn tractor battery, i keep it charged and start the generator at least once a month. I always shut the gas off to the carb before i shut the gen off and let it run out of gas while it is unloaded and cooling down.

ehenry

Commander
I"ve got 3 generators. A Generac 8K N/G standby on my house, a Sears and Rare Back 12K that I got in a Katrina hurricane sale and a Honda EU2000. All are good and crank when called upon but by and far my favorite is the Honda EU2000. I've rigged up an 6 gallon extended run tank it will run almost 4 days on that tank. the EU is quiet, wife can start it and it runs the fridge, freezer and assorted electronics.

bigdee

Commander
Yeah later on I may get the HF emulation (<$500) of the EU 2000 Honda and dedicate it for the electronics and lighting. For right now I will use a 750 watt inverter for the electronics. The Duromax generator has a 12 volt output that could be used for charging the inverter battery. 750 watts is more than enough for my TV and computer. The advantage of the inverter is continuous power so I don't have to re-boot every time I gas up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Duromax generator has a 12 volt output that could be used for charging the inverter battery.
Yes but at 12V @ 10A that's only 120W so not going to keep up with a 750W load if that's what the invertor has on it.

bigdee

Commander
Yes but at 12V @ 10A that's only 120W so not going to keep up with a 750W load if that's what the invertor has on it. Output on generator's 12 vdc is 8.3 amps.

True statement Bruce if load was 100% and 24 hours. Inverter will run off a car battery which will be charged by the generators 12vdc. Computer on standby is <25 watts and TV around 80 watts.