new F150

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My old ford f150 just rolled over 300000 km. She is a 2001 and getting a little rusty on the rocker panel under the door. I was thinking of getting a second hand 2015 f150 when they start to hit the market in a year or two. I want the aluminum body so I won't have rust problems. Here where I live, most vehicles rust out long before they wear out. The only reason my truck lasted so long is it came down from Manitoba in 2012 and there isn't as much salt used up there. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the new fords, good or bad, and what engine was best for gas mileage and still capable of towing. I'm not worried about strength of the box as i'm not loading her up with boulders or anything, just a quad or some wood. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Aluminum corrodes faster than steel when subjected to salt.

All it takes is one scratch to bare aluminum

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer

+1. But if you still want a ford I have heard pretty good things about them. I have heard both good and bad things about the Ecoboost engine but I personally would go for the V8. are you considering other brands?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I heard that when aluminum is exposed it forms aluminum oxide on the surface that binds tightly to the metal and prevents further corrosion. My bigger fear is galvanic corrosion where steel meets aluminum. I know ford has isolated the metals with special coatings and such but how long will these last after years of use?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What happens is the aluminum corrodes, lifting paint next to it, which exposed new aluminum to corrode

At least that is my experience in the marine market

Tnstratofam

Commander
I'm in a similar situation as you KJM my 01 F150 has 291,000 km (181,000 miles) and is still in good overall condition. However in the last 10 years the local road crews have started using liquid salt or brine on the highways which is much more difficult to rinse off and out of all the nooks and crannies on a vehicle. My frame and rockers and doors are still okay, bur my bed supports are not great. I've been thinking in the next couple of years I will find a newer Ford but after the 2008 models I'm not sure what to look for.

I'm not sold on the Ecoboost system yet and have talked to a few mechanics who recommend staying away from them. I believe the problem with them has to do with the design of the Charge Air Cooler. Condensation can build up which gets pulled along with the cold air into the turbocharger which can cause shuddering or the computer to put the truck in limp mode. Ford is supposed to be working on a redesign. This problem happens mostly in humid areas. There are also issues with carbon damage with the valve train.

I do like the look of the new Dodges.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Any body that I know that has a new ford loves them.Seeing as how the al body has only been out for a year or so its really to early to tell about rust issues.For every ford horror story somebody can come up with theres a dodge and gm one also.Personally I will be looking at a 2.7 eco inn a couple of years as the heaviest I tow is a 16 foot al starcraft.I also will buy off lease not new.Currently have a 2003 150 4x4 xl ,no rust yet.KJM do what I did ,took a couple of hours and a couple of cans of rockerguard.Stuff hanging down under rockerguard is old factory undercoating which just needs to be peeled off.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
i have had trucks since about 1988. i have owned all 3 major brands (4 Fords (1991, 1992, 1990, and 1994), 3 Dodges (1985, 2007, and 2013), and a bunch of Chevys (1985, 1987, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1991, and 1996). by far the Fords were the most unreliable and gave me the most trouble, from bad engines, rear ends, 4x4 not working, electrical, etc). The Chevy and Dodge have both been pretty reliable. my 2007 Ram needed tie rod ends at 12,000 miles but other than that the Dodges have been great. only trouble i had with the Chevys was a bad trans in the 1978 but it was a complete rebuild with junkyard parts.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ive had trucks much longer than 1988 and as I said I can tell horror story for horror story for all brands.Brothers 2008 or so hemi dodge ,blown motor,friends 2015 gmc truck ,rust all over frame .At least in Canada ford has had the best selling truck for 49 years in a row.Prices are not any cheaper so take that out of the equation.Buy what you want and treat it right and they will treat you good .

82rude

Rear Admiral
To answer the o.p. question ,look and talk to people in your area and get their thoughts which quite frankly will be much more informed than somebody who doesn't live there.

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Buy what you want and treat it right and they will treat you good .

This is the key right here.. My '00 Chevy just rolled in at 295,000 miles, original motor and running strong. I would look at the 3.5l but that 2.7l shouldn't have any problem towing your boat. Whatever you get just treat it right, follow maintenance schedules to the dot and it will treat you right.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i would be curious to see the sales results comparison if you combined Chevy and GMC. Wonder if they would outsell the others then? Always wondered that but was too lazy to ever look it up....lol

82rude

Rear Admiral
Not in Canada, chev and gm were combined ford still outsold them.Could be different in U.S.A. Dodge has been making good inroads lately with aggressive pricing.Vehicle ownership is just like boatmotors,regional I believe.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'm leery of the aluminum, look around at the Expedition liftgates, 4 to 5 years out and they've got big bubbles in them.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I had an 04 F150 with the 5.4L 3V I ran over 240,000 miles. Sold it to my sons mother in law and she is still driving it. My father has the 2013 F150 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost rated at 10900 towing and I have a 2016 Supercrew with the 2.7L ecoboost. The 2.7 gets an average of 20 mpg running in stop and go traffic to Seattle on a daily basis (100 Mile round trip). The 3.5L Ecoboost i turned 19.4 MPG on a 400 mile round trip to Dallas from San Angelo TX in 1 day. The 2.7L has more HP and torque than the 04 with the 5.4L and is equal to the 2013 3.5L. The 2013 rated at 10900 towing is more than my 2016 is rated but you can get the 2016 rated at 10900-11200 for towing. Additionally, the 3.5 you can get a 32 gal tank but the 2.7 you can only get a 27 gal fuel tank.

Overall, the 2.7L Ecoboost has been good to me and i intend to run it as far as i did the 2004. The MAJOR drawback to the Ecoboost over the 5.0L, it doesnt have the deep throat sound as the big V-8's.

The 2016 and up, have a Economy, Tow Haul, and a Sport Mode. When you put it in Sport Mode, It will run.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I have been watching this thread; and was expecting a lot more comments. I have always been a Ford Man; hate Chevys; indifferent to Dodge; wouldn't even consider Import. To me the ride and comfort is important and should also be considered. Just about all the new ones (to me) ride like like a tank; and give me a boxed in feeling. The '03 Supercrew and the '07 Sport Trac are still running strong; even the '03 Ranger is hanging on; (less than 100k) and rarely driven.The other Forums have horror stories too! Am still looking; still undecided; and will probably end up buying used.

Harr...; Installing a FlowMaster muffler will get you that deep throat sound You want. A good muffler shop can tune the pipes.