wifi camera to monitor boat at dock

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking to get a simple 1 camera wireless camera system to watch the boat, mainly during storms and high winds.
I work with higher systems, but the monthly cost will eventually overcome the one time cost.

what is anyone using or seen out there?
thanks

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Is your boat docked on private property? You need power, a camera, Point To Point link and a computer with internet connection and a IP address.

If its on your property- power, camera, PTP link to your computer

Or hard wire with power over ethernet cable.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat is at my apartment complex, it has its own marina.
each slip has its oen power ppedestal.
my initial plan was to use a camera with a gateway thst converts the analog video signal to IP. Send that signal to a cloudgate thst has a cell SIM. I can them access iit through my phone using an app.
but I would have to pay a monthy fee for the cell SIM as well as the app.

I am hoping for something a bit more simpler.
I do have permission from the complex to do this.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought one,... works great at on my wifi,.. but cant get it to recognize the marina wifi.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just bought one,... works great at on my wifi,.. but cant get it to recognize the marina wifi.
You were likely looking at yours from within your routers local IP region(the local IP address that your router assigned). Going to be tough using a marina's wifi unless you can get into their router to open up a port. How well do you get along with your marina's IT guy?

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
That'll be a tough one,.. They're pretty strict with there Wi-Fi.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you do manage to get something setup, make sure it is secured. Otherwise others can intercept the video and know exactly when no one is around. A few years back I bought a backup camera for the SUV. And I installed it. Well the monitor was on every time the engine was running. The back up camera was on only when I was in reverse. And as we drove down the road, I was amazed at how make home security cameras I was receiving. And worst yet, as we drove in the city, I could see a ton of store security rooms and their safes. They installed security cameras and transmitted on typical video frequencies and I could easily see them while driving by. I was certainly amazed that professional security systems didn't figure that out and secure their video feeds from the open frequency band.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Yea,.. There's actually a website dedicated to streaming private sec cams

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I might just have to go with the cell route.
seams like the easiest route.
I'll keep looking around

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Your main point is to watch the boat during storms and high winds, but really at the point where destruction is approaching, what more can you do other than watch your poor boat get destroyed (or survive). Cheapest route, make sure it is well secured and glance over the 7 day forecast.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did that before the last hurricane rolled through here (fl).
went and bought brand new lines, I had to keep her in the water, made sure she was tied uup good, and I do check the forecast.
its just a bit more piece of mind and if it happens, watch her smash to pieces vice going out every so often in the bad weather to take a look see

thumpar

Admiral
Is your boat docked on private property? You need power, a camera, Point To Point link and a computer with internet connection and a IP address.

If its on your property- power, camera, PTP link to your computer

Or hard wire with power over ethernet cable.
My cameras don't need power, just the base. The cameras are 100% wireless. It is an Arlo system. I can view live or old video from anywhere.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My cameras don't need power, just the base. The cameras are 100% wireless. It is an Arlo system. I can view live or old video from anywhere.

I have to ask, how does your camera work without any power. I am wondering. :noidea:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I am putting together a quote for community that needs to monitor an area for vandalism
Pelco cameras mounted on a pole, and a wireless bridge to shoot 3 miles back to their building, power would come from the street light. (before the photo electric eye LOL made that mistake only once).

They also want to do WI FI hots spots through out the town with fiber as the backbone.

thumpar

Admiral
I have to ask, how does your camera work without any power. I am wondering. :noidea:
Cr123a batteries. The whole thing fits in the palm of your hand. They have a new model that is rechargable and another one that does plug in to power. They all run off the same base though. On mine I ended up buying a full set of rechargebles for my cameras (3) but they don't last as long as the non-rechargebles. It was only about 20 bucks for 24 batteries with charger.