Wayne Air Compressor?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Someone in my neighborhood put out a Wayne model F22HP air compressor and of course I picked it up. It's a very old horizontal compressor with steel wheels and a large tank, 30Gallon? The motor is dual voltage 110 and 220 1/2HP 1750 rpm, currently set to 110V. The pump is a single cylinder and not very big.
I'm not having much luck finding info on this model. I have found out the Wayne made a high quality compressors for gas stations and repair shops. Also the Wayne pump co of Indiana has bought out several compressor co and has been bought out by other co and ceased to sell under their name in the 50's.
Does anyone has any info on the model F22HP? The internet doesn't have any in this model.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Is that Wayne Model # plate on the compressor tank or the actual motor?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The model number is on a plate on the pump. The plate is the same as a 60 gallon one I found a picture of from 1957.
I have not tried it yet. It looks complete except for the air cleaner. The motor and pump are not seized. The tank is covered in grease and dirt.
I'm thinking it would make a great air pig plumbed up to the new 26 gallon compressor I just bought.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have not noticed a plate on the tank. I will throw it on my utility trailer and take it to the self serve carwash with some degreaser.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well it runs and is very quiet except that the belt guard that is not on right.
I only let it get to 30 psi as the pressure switch is completely automatic, no manual shut off and the over pressure safety valve doesn't have a manual release.
I still can't find any info on this model but have noticed that all of the pictures of Wayne compressors I've looked at are all stationary units. This is the only portable Wayne compressor I've come across.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Here is a page that lists quite a bit of sales manual information for the Wayne Compressors.

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne ac.htm

Also here is a google image page with a lot of pictures of old Wayne's

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wayn...Q0fnnQnK1gM%3A

Air-Flo is still listing parts for some of the Wayne Compressors as well

http://www.airfloinc.com/category/122

Where did you search, I have found a ton of information on the Wayne compressors by just doing a google search, one of the hits came up with the title of Wayne/Ingersol Rand compressors.

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You found all of the ones I found.
I googled every possible combination of Wayne air compressor and Wayne pump co. I have found some info on some old tractor, equipment and garage forums.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You found all of the ones I found.
I googled every possible combination of Wayne air compressor and Wayne pump co. I have found some info on some old tractor, equipment and garage forums.

I suspect it is virtually the same as one of my ingersol's a lot of compressor's were sold under different names, when in truth there are very few that actually make them, I know Tractor supply sells the exact same model that I have, but under their name.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
At some point in Wayne history they were owned by or owned, Dresser, Symington, Le roi and others.
All higher quality compressors manufactures.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A little off subject, but Ingersoll Rand was the very first pneumatic company in America. They made the first pneumatic mining equipment and were and still are very successful. I am sure, as so many companies do, that they built compressors with various names for others as well.

:focus:

if you got that discarded compressor running, make absolutely sure you have the pressure relief valve working. You can buy manual shut off switches as well. But don't allow it to fill up without a known good pressure relief valve. They actually sell those relief valves at Lowes in their pneumatic tools section. So if you have any doubts, buy a new one. JMHO

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A little off subject, but Ingersoll Rand was the very first pneumatic company in America. They made the first pneumatic mining equipment and were and still are very successful. I am sure, as so many companies do, that they built compressors with various names for others as well.

:focus:

if you got that discarded compressor running, make absolutely sure you have the pressure relief valve working. You can buy manual shut off switches as well. But don't allow it to fill up without a known good pressure relief valve. They actually sell those relief valves at Lowes in their pneumatic tools section. So if you have any doubts, buy a new one. JMHO

I have a 100 psi relief valve sitting around from an old compressor. I know it's good, I'll install it for testing.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would not run it, until I replaced the pressure relief valve, For less than $10 bucks you have have piece of mind that you won't fracture the tank, make sure and drain it and try to look inside the tank, normally are pretty good, but just in case.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I did run it just to see if it worked I only let it get up to 30 psi then unplugged it. I'll check it later to see if it's holding the 30 psi.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The pressure gauge was reading 0 psi. The hose that it permanently attached to the compressor has a crack in it, I'll take the hose off and install a coupling and try again tomorrow.
If you google "Quincy X2" that pump is about the same size.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have to be careful with old tanks. If previous users didn't drain them everyday, you are setting yourself up for a potential disaster. I think there was some poster on here once that said he didn't drain until the tank was half full of water. You don't want to be using a tank abused like that.

See if the tank has an ASME pla card on it.

I would do a water pressure test before I filled with air. Do a Google search to find procedures

Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I removed the hose and plugged the fitting. It has been holding 30 psi for 8 hours. I took it to the self serve car wash with a gallon of degreaser, spray bottle and a brush. The degreaser did a great job removing the really thick grease and dirt. Unfortunately it removed the printing on the ID plate on the pump, messed up the decals on the tank and remover a lot of the paint. The motor, pump, tank and steel wheels are all the same light green color. I'm guessing they are all original.

There is not an ASME/ID plate on the tank. It doesn't look like there ever was one. I did find some numbers stamped into the tank a 35 and a 6 or 9.
The tank is 36" long and 18" tall. A volume of 9160.88418 cubic inches, Which makes the tank about 40 gallons. Which is huge considering the small size pump and 1/2hp GE motor. I'm sure it is a very low cfm compressor. I'm going to let the motor dry out for a few days before plugging it in again.

The air in and out fittings on the tank and small and will make inspecting the tank difficult. I have read about hydro testing, I will be doing more research on the procedure. If the tank test ok I'll use it for additional air storage plumbed to the new compressor I just bought. I'll clean up and paint the pump and motor then mount them on a oak board for display.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah at 1/2 HP motor, I don't see a lot of CFMs coming out of it for any long period of time. But it is free and you can't complain either. Would work well for a small airbrush setup. But most any air tool won't run properly. JMHO

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The compressor has lost 2 psi over 24 hours. I sprayed some soapy water on the fittings and found a small leak where a reducing bushing screws in to the manifold.
I've read a lot on hydro testing and it doesn't look to difficult, the only issue is the tank never had a ASME ID plate so I don't know it working pressure. Hence I don't know what psi to test the tank too.
I'm thinking I can remove the over pressure valve which appears to be adjustable and attach it to the air hose from my 6 gallon 150 psi compressor and turn up the out put pressure until it pops open then I will know what pressure the compressor was being used at.