So, what did you do today?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Went fishing Tuesday.By 10 am it was so hot everybody vacated the lake that was fishing.95 f plus by 10 am.Did invite a tasty dinner sized northern pike home .

82rude

Rear Admiral
Heading out tomorrow at 5 am to Whitefishbay for coho,kings,lakers rainbow.Suppose to be billiard table flat so may blast up to Gouilas bay and said same name river then work our way down to Gros Cap harbor.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have fun 82 and catch a mess.

Yesterday I caught a keeper from Roosevelt Lake on the Columbia.

Attachments

• photo334319.jpg
    photo334319.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, had one of my 85%ers this weekend...story goes like this.

customer calls a couple weeks ago, he had bought a new boat, wanted me to go through it and get it going. Needed it done right away. Well, he has been a long time good customer so I worked late one night and got the job done. Mind you this is during Hell week right before the 4th.

fast forward til Saturday...he calls madder than all get out. Boat wont start. 1st time out. I said wow, you needed it right away.and didnt even try it for 2 weeks? Bring it by I said.

turns out he had jammed the wrong key in the ignition switch...FML. he was happy it was simple but didnt apologize for cursing me out. Sometimes you just can't win.

I live in a very wealthy area. We call 85%ers those that own boats but probably shouldnt. I do more repairs due to ignorance than anything else.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, I've been cheating...

not on the admiral...

on the sweet corn.

turns out you can stick an ear, husk and all, in the nuker for 2 minutes n end up with a perfectly edible although still needing to be shucked piece of corn.

you do burn your fingers shucking it

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Pulled the 7.4 out of the Baja. Started at 5:30 had the back seat and the motor hanging by 6:40. Getting slower in my old age. Why, you ask? 8.2l with cam is ready to drop in. Should get me to low 80's. Not bad in a 23.5' boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
An hour and 20 minutes? Too many beers! :D

EDIT - Too many beers. 1 hour and 10 minutes. :doh:

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
An hour and 20 minutes? Too many beers! :D

EDIT - Too many beers. 1 hour and 10 minutes. :doh:

Haha. Seriously though, if not for the darn back seat assembly it's usually a 45minute job. Pull out drive, wire harness, steering lines, a few fasteners...etc. Merc used to give us 14 hours to r&r, I think?...I wonder what the flat rate for warrantie is these days?

The back seat assembly in this is a bear. Fasteners are really hard to reach now that I don't bend so well. Its also a tight fit and heavy. you have to slide it back 8" then use a hoist to lift it straight up. The admiral loves this boat though. Its also a drag because you have to lift the motor 10" to change an impeller, a little farther to swap a starter...Heck, the block drains are almost impossible to reach. I have a plan to solve that though.

GA_Boater

Some boats are not put together with maintenance in mind. Bean counters!

14 hours is a lotta beer!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
well, got all good customers up and running. I'm gonna work half days for the next two weeks and fix my own stuff. And go boating every day. And drinking. Ill call it sport drinking instead of sport fishing...with my luck there will be a PBR shortage starting tomorrow.

I got the new Bridgeport motor in...need to wire up the phase converter.

Gotta find time to drop the big block in the baja...

Need to put the 115 looper together and put it on the 14' sidewinder xs1400. Anyone got a spare gear and pinion set for that? Am I even allowed to ask? Delete if necessary...thankfully I am in michigan where you are allowed to overpower your boat;) I havent blown one over in a long time...

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, decided to pull the transom assembly on the big block baja. The steering pin is shot. Whatever you call it. The one where you drill from the out side to replace the big pin? Anyways, didn't want holes in this transome assembly..well, now its off to the machine shop for broken bolt removal. The darn water line elbow bolts broke. There is enough there to try but my machine shop prefers you don't even try. If they get it out with vise grips its 10 bucks or even free most of the time. If I try, and make it worse they sometimes refuse, so they say. They are super busy and don't like to deal with jobs made worse by folks bumbling around. I'm good with their policy.

GA_Boater

You and your machine shop should have this sign on the shop wall with updated rates, Jake.

laborrates.png

cptbill

Wow love that mower! What a great resonation project that would make, that's classic

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, had to straighten a prop shaft for a volvo penta. Got it less than .002". Mostly luck but ill take it.

cptbill

Fired up the smoker this afternoon, doing some nice 1 1/2 inch thick pork chops and a small pork tenderloin. Can't wait!

cptbill

Sorry, got carried away and ate them before you'll got here and total forgot about the camera,but dang they were gooooooooood!