So, what did you do today?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Jake, I put things in places so I can find them later. When you find the chains look for some stuff I put in the same place for safe keeping. Has to be at your place cuz I gave up looking here. :facepalm:

You know that after you fab the new chains you'll trip over the old ones. Wear steel toes!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You are funny guys...

So, I was getting ready to cut up a bunch of chain, a buddy calls, his sleds broke down can I come and get him. I hook up to the sled trailer and low and behold, there are my chains...

dwco5051

Commander
Which reminds me that it is time to start looking for the weather frount for my truck before it really gets cold. Every Spring I store it in a place I think I would never forget and every Winter I forget. Last year I thought I put it away in a black plastic bag and walked by it at least a dozen times and a couple of days later I found it in a white bag.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I am pretty sure I could set my hand down on a table and lose it these days...

GA_Boater

Always start looking in your back pocket, even for chains. Working on a car one day, couldn't find the screwdriver I was just using. Sat in the drivers seat to have a smoke and ripped the crap out of the seat. You know where the screwdriver was and shoulda told me. :doh:

dwco - Not too long ago I spent a week looking for some important papers I filed away in a large manila envelope. Found them when I got curious about the white envelope i kept flipping by. It was even in the right folder, but my head told me it was manila, not white. I don't think there is cure!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Always start looking in your back pocket, even for chains. Working on a car one day, couldn't find the screwdriver I was just using. Sat in the drivers seat to have a smoke and ripped the crap out of the seat. You know where the screwdriver was and shoulda told me. :doh: Quote]

Just reminded me, I walked into the forklift shop several years ago, there was Alvin. Standing there looking around kind of perplexed. I say hey bud, whats up? He says, ya know I had a screwdriver a minute ago, now I can't find it. So at that point he reaches up to scratch his head with nothing other than said screwdriver. I say, you mean the one you have in your hand and just scratched your head with?? Well, that poor screwdriver proceeded to fly across the shop, and Alvin disappeared for about a half hour! True story!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, now that the chains are on the tractor it's time to start on the forklift project.

somehow I have to figure a way to get it up in the air high enough to get the steering hydraulic cylinder out. It needs to be rebuilt.

the plan right now is to make some ramps to drive it up onto. Scary stuff but it should be fine.

there isnt enough clearance (7.5") to get any Jack's that I own underneath. At least Jack's that can lift the weight. It's a clarklift cy40b so I am guessing it weighs at least #4000. That's its lift capacity anyways. My 3 ton floor jack doesnt even begin to budge it.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I swear lately I spend half my life looking for stuff... Mainly keys and wallet. I've been working on my plow rig alot lately, 2000 Cherokee. Have to change o2 sensors today. Brought it in the garage and popped the hood. There was a small pair of channel locks on top of the rad. Just happened to be Oreillys when I used them to take the cap off the valve to test the fuel rail pressure...... That was 10 days ago. Oooooops....

GA_Boater

There was a small pair of channel locks on top of the rad. Just happened to be Oreillys when I used them to take the cap off the valve to test the fuel rail pressure...... That was 10 days ago. Oooooops....

I do that too! :doh:

Jake - Do you need to lift the rear of the forklift just to take the weight off the steering wheels?

Start at the front. Raise the forks and put some cribbage under the forks, lower the forks until the front is off the ground. Then put some wood blocks against the undercarriage just ahead of the rear wheels and raise the forks until the front is back on the ground. The rear will lift off the ground.

dwco5051

Commander
Start at the front. Raise the forks and put some cribbage under the forks, lower the forks until the front is off the ground. Then put some wood blocks against the undercarriage just ahead of the rear wheels and raise the forks until the front is back on the ground. The rear will lift off the ground.

I have to change oil on my skid steer next week. This sounds like the quick way to get it about 6 inches higher to get at the access plate for the drain plug.

GA_Boater

Just use some solid blocks to hold the undercarriage up. Let it settle for a while before reaching under to undo the access plate. I wouldn't trust hydraulics only

Did you get the steering cylinder fixed, Jake?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No, I am having a heck of a time removing it. I must be missing something. I found a manual online for $100. May have to wait til it shows up. It's an old clarklift. Cy40b. Serial number is so old the parts guy had to go to the paper catalogs in storage. Right now I have degreaser working on it. 1/2" of 50 yr old sludge covering everything under there. Once its clean maybe I can see what's going on.:noidea:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, the battle with the fork truck continues. Every single fastener on a stud the whole thing spins...I dont think this is ever going to come apart. Working on removing the steering arm from the toggle. Castle nut on a stud. No cotter that I can see. You turn the nut and the whole thing spins. There is no way to get enough room to get a nut splitter on it. Scared if I hit it with the tig torch that I'll set the whole thing on fire. I also need to be careful as I am sure they dont make this stuff anymore.

Maybe someone will give me a new hi-lo for my bday...hehe, doubtful.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Not doing lots lately.This year has so far been fairly mild in the snowfall dept compared to 2 years ago where it snowed every second day.Lots of winter left yet though.Sure glad i set up my polaris ace with a plowsystem,saves my poor destroyed back.

GA_Boater

Hey Rude - Since you're not busy go help Jake yank that cylinder out and fix the steering. :D

Ya work for beer? :wink:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
With this crap wet, damp no sunlight weather we are having in Southern Ontario I did nothing yesterday, nothing today and plan on repeating that until the football game Sunday. I'm perfecting the "do nothing" projects. With my 5 types of arthritis my bones dictate what I do. I lied, I took the tarp off the boat yesterday and put the poles back up after the wind knocked them down. Took 5 minutes, I was beat.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We haven't seennthevsun either in N WI. They're saying maybe Sunday. We've had a warm January, for us anyway, hence the clouds. Give me some cold and sun....