So, what did you do today?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Photo caption contest;

chester.png
Mine, all mine!

jake.png
Chester just pooped in mom's flower bed.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Not today, but took the boat out yesterday for the 2nd time this year. First time was last weekend. 1st time in 4yrs! And, on 4yr old gas! Ran like I had just started it. Gotta love FI. It's a Johnson 4 stroke. Guessing it's easier to burn older gas with FI, no carb to plug up.

4yrs ago I just dumped Seafoam in the tank. I also ran premium. Not sure if I just got lucky, or, the previous mentioned helped. But, I will always use Seafoam and premium. Btw, tank was half full. Ran it down to under a quarter and topped it off with premium and a can of 'Foam. Need to replace the filters just for safety sake...

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Intermittent no spark on one cylinder....fun stuff. I could be boating but instead I'm on the pad trying to figure out just when its intermittent. All ready tried all my tricks too...Wish sea foam would find the answer for me...maybe my "known good" cdi for testing purposes has gone bad???

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It was the coil...blows my mind. 1st time that I can recall that a coil was intermittent. I replace so few of them that I dont even keep them in stock. Less than 1 a year. (Talking J/E, yes I stock several merc coils)

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Had a very unfortunate incident with the windshield of the boat while repairing the tracks on the cabin door DSC01524.JPG

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Just saw a bunch of A-10's fly over. In a Vee pattern...1 out front and two tight to him on the port side, one a little back and to the starboard. Is that the missing man formation?

southkogs

Staff member
That's the finger four formation. Dude out front is the flight leader, and the right echelon bird is the flight wingman. The two remaining on the opposite side are the second element (and wingman) of the flight.

When that formation is used for "missing man," typically as the flight passes the ceremony site, the second element leader pulls up out of formation for the duration of the pass. (But there are other ways of performing the missing man flight)

The A-10 is a fun airplane to watch. My family was all MIANG, and I got to watch lots of those guys fly from the Michigan Six Pack.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why is it that some of the oldest planes in the Air Force inventory are some of the best? The Warthog first flew in 1972 and the C-130 first flight was 1954.

The Herky Bird has many modernized updated models and only the shape is the same. The Warthog just got an extension on life with a new Boeing wing contract after Congress tried to kill it and the AF fought back.

In both cases, the newer replacement aircraft can't do the job these two still do more than effectively.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Going on a pontoon picnic with friends. Daughter is up this weekend... Yay!

82rude

Rear Admiral
As a kid I was allowed to sit in this one here,file pic.
a066e7771bcc16774952d77fbd1e8a3d.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

southkogs

Staff member
I've been in F86 one too. They're incredibly loud - that air intake makes a ton of noise.

And I'm right with ya' MT - you left the F15 out of the mix. Both of those airplanes have been in service over 40 years ... and the Eagle is still tough to out perform.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Heading to N Mn with the boat today. About a 3hr drive. Going on my favorite lake, Lake Vermilion. 40 miles long. Gonna put some miles on the boat.