So, what did you do today?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Being that I have to pull the head, bad exhaust valve on #3, I guess I'll figure it out but it would be nice if their labels were right...you cant trust anything merc prints anymore. I've run into a bunch of this.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Anyone one ever bought one of the aftermarket teak swim platforms? Like the ones at Overtons or wherever...talking the $700 for 72 inch platforms. Were they well made? I am more than capable of making my own but buying one of these cheapie ones would be soooooo much easier...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well, everything I touched today broke...I hate these days...

Opposite here.Shoved my boat in the backyard last October with its tarp system on and did nothing else other than run auto winterizing cycle (etec).Didn't unhook the battery or any acc.Today first start ,and it was instantaneous.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
And lines, and carbs, and fuel rails in the one injected motor...I stink now. Scared to light a smoke for fear I'll explode...lol.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Canada day weekend so fishing might be on the menu.American fishermen invasion has also begun in earnest,lol.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Canada day weekend so fishing might be on the menu.American fishermen invasion has also begun in earnest,lol.

Friend of mine went up there yesterday. I used to do fly-in trips with dad and bro.... We flew out of Sioux Lookout. Went another 100 miles north. Also spent time on Eagle Lake out of Dryden. All in Ontario.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Gassed up across the border in soo Michigan.Went to meijers and got2 bottles of Repel 100 bug spray(98percent deet).Looked for a new plug for my scotti elect down rigger.Some lowlife scum stole mine and the damn boat plug too!Unfortunately I live in Canada so baseball batting said lowlife or kneecapping with a 12 gauge is frowned upon.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Are you serious? You're not allowed to stop people from stealing from you?

I solved my issues years ago with a couple of 30rd mag dumps...never had an issue since. I did this in a safe manner by the way...it was intended to scare the bajesuzes out of them and apparently it worked, (knock on wood as I tap my head.)

82rude

Rear Admiral
Its done but the powers that be hate guns.Leave it at that so this doesn't go sideways and political.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I sat here are darn day, with two boat motors that I can't get started and watched it rain, it has been raining since daybreak this morning, so time to swap my 9.8 back to the 14 footer, so we can at least go fishing on the 4th!

There are days that the love/hate relationships with boats really lean to the hate side!

:rolleyes:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I've been down in the shop since O dark thirty hoping to get enough done so I van take the grandkid out boating this afternoon, we'll see...got 1 pontoon hoist to assemble and an etec with either a bad lift pump or more likely the famous kinked fuel line somewhere...

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Got a new to me 1993 18 foot Wooldridge Extra Plus with an Evinrude Jet Power 105 that needs some work on the motor. Only revs up to 3400. I think the 2 year old gas could be a big part of the problem. Was supposed to be ethanol free.
Checked the compression 3 on the starboard run 85 and the 3 on the port run 80 give or take a couple on each side.

Changing the plugs today and filling up the tank after draining yesterday. Non ethanol will be going in. Also getting new deals since the boat was from Idaho. Transfer went smooth but my wallet is a lot lighter now.;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Gas was probably fine. I ran mine in the yard last year on 3yr old petro....

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
StarTed that's pretty low compression even with the low comp heads, if that's what's on those. Is it a harbor freight guage by chance? They tend to give low numbers. Might try a better/different guage before you spend much more money.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think the gauge is from the '40s a Neihoff I think. It's probably nearly as old as I am. :)

Filled up the boat's gas tank. Took 54 1/2 gal. Now the boat is heavier. Also put in new spark plugs.

Will try it out on one of the nearby lakes but maybe not tomorrow (too crowded).

There is a lot of oil around the carbs. I wonder if the VRO is not working properly.

I understand those engines usually run around 90 to 95 PSI but I don't know much about them.

When I drained the tank the first 4 gals. came out clear but slightly bluish. The last couple gals. came out yellow. Can't figure out why the difference.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Today ,july 4 year of our lord 2019,Phil did did lily squat as its 86f ! Tomorrow its suppose to be 104 with the humidity and possible t storms which up around camp could spell trouble in the form of down bursts which can cause big time destruction on the scale of twisters.In the woods you can tell a down burst because all the trees will be knocked down in the same direction vs a twister where they will be every which way.