Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , I found some 2.5 " pipe laying around .. Kc had a good idea . Only problem is it needs to stay in line and straight ... So I ripped a 1x down to 2.75 " .. Screwed it to the side of the pipe while holding on a flat surface ... . Set the rip fence up to the center of the pipe ... Set the blade just high enough to cut through one side of the pipe ... Make that cut then then turn the whole thing over and rip the other side of the pipe ..Taaadaaa ! pipe split down the middle ... Safely ... I would think I could do that with a full length piece ....
I have a sample full bullnose now cooking ... Maybe tomorrow afternoon it will be dry enough to strip the forms ...
I also have some rounded corners to make .. If I like the bullnose profile I can make a bunch of relief cuts in the half pipe and it should bend around the corners pretty well I think ..

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like a solid plan. Keeping the fingers attached is good as well...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So these are the 2 options so far that I am ok with ...
The fancy edge and the bullnose ...

The bullnose I tried sanding too soon so it looks very rough on top ... Any bad spots I can point up with a slurry that I can screen from the same material ...
I sent some pics to my sister in law Judy ... She likes the fancy edge
I kind of like the bullnose myself ... ... The Admiral hasn't weighed in yet on it ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So these are the 2 options so far that I am ok with ...
The fancy edge and the bullnose ...

The bullnose I tried sanding too soon so it looks very rough on top ... Any bad spots I can point up with a slurry that I can screen from the same material ...
I sent some pics to my sister in law Judy ... She likes the fancy edge
I kind of like the bullnose myself ... ... The Admiral hasn't weighed in yet on it ...

IDK, I kind of like...well...ah...both! Yea both look good. :eek:

Sam I am certain which ever you chose will look great when all is said and done. I lean towards the fancy edge, but then there is something to be said about the fuller bull nose as well. :noidea:

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bullnose

The fancy edge has 2 corner edges along the 'fancy' part, ogee? A squarish corner is likely to be eaisier to chip then a bullnose...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Bullnose. I thought the exact same thing that jb did. That edge looks like it might chip over time. That bullnose is nice and clean. :thumb:

But of course, we all know that the only opinion that really matters is the admirals...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
But of course, we all know that the only opinion that really matters is the admirals...

And you know the one she likes better ... After I already started prepping for the bullnose .. :facepalm: :cold:
:lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
And you know the one she likes better ... After I already started prepping for the bullnose .. :facepalm: :cold:
:lol:

Sam, come on now, you should know by now that whatever YOU like, go the opposite. That IS a given. :eek:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sadly my sister in law Judy finally passed and we had her funeral yesterday ... She was at peace with leaving us .. She said whether she lives or dies it was a win win situation for her ... She said she could stay here and be with her family or die and go be with God ... A win win in her book !
I will miss her ... I must be getting more sentimental the older I get ... I find it much harder to hold back the tears ....

So very little getting done on any projects lately but we have been slowly climbing out of our hole at work so it looks like the 10 hr days should be stopping this week .. :joyous:
Now maybe I can get the grass cut ! :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Seems nice weather here gets wasted on days I work. I may need more then 1 goat if the grass doesnt get cut soon.

Sorry for your family's loss, glad she was a peace

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry to hear about your sister in law, my prayers for you and your family.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the thoughts guys ...
Well almost have the upper counter ready to pour .. Seeing as the Admiral wanted the fancy edge it's taking a bit longer to form .... Keeping my fingers crossed hoping to pour it this weekend ... I picked up an electric cement mixer last week for 60 bucks off c/l ... Not the prettiest thing but it turns the tub ... Even after I dumped it over the side of my truck making a sharp turn .. :eek: :facepalm: :lol:
Doing a little repair work on it now ...
I have another problem though ... It seems a little bird has made a nest in a box of screws I had sitting on a table on the porch ... Why it chose there idk ...
Has eggs in it and everything .... I thought I would leave it there and just move it to higher ground to keep it out of the way so I did that ... I sat in my chair and waited to see if the bird would find it ... Poor thing had nest stuff in it's beak jumping around looking but couldn't figure out where it went to ... Being the old softy that I am :facepalm: I had to put it back on the table . 5 minutes later it's right back at home building it's nest ... How long does it take for eggs to hatch ? :lol:

southkogs

Staff member
Sam - just catchin' up after being out of town: I'm sorry to hear of your sister-in-law, though I'm relieved that she met it in peace with what would be happening. What a blessing.

And ... uh ... congrats on the new brood ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey Good guy Sam. When they hatch depends on the type of bird nesting. I bet 1 has your name.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep thats all I need a bunch of baby birds screeching for worms . :lol:
I think it may be a Finch idk ... But if they hatch I will prolly need to move them to higher ground ... There at about eye level to my lab at the moment ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
With the weekend off finally I did make some progress ... Both tops formed up and all the wire installed ... The edge is just a corner round top and bottom for the edge the admiral wanted ..

Here's my 60 dollar mixer ... It ran about how you expect a 60 dollar c/l mixer would that I dropped out of my truck ..
But it kept me from using a hoe ..

And finally in the hole ..

Now that that's out of the way for the moment it's time to start doing other stuff .. I want to install some kind of lighting behind these glass blocks that I have laying around .. Fiber optic is I would image be out of my price range so was thinking on LED's ...
How often would LED's burn out ? Trying to come up with a good plan in case I ever need to replace the lights ..

I want to mount the lights in the upper corner of the recess so it shines down through the blocks ...
Any idea's or thoughts on a plan ? A clear plastic tube to slide the lights in was one thought with access at the end of the tube ..
I'm kinda stumped ... :confused:

southkogs

Staff member
There are some reallly nice ribbon LED lights out there. If you can leave a 1/2" to 1" space at the top of the blocks - and then make some sort of a fascia you can slide in and slide out, maintenance should be pretty easy.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is the dropping it out of your truck some secret break-in process that I have never heard about:rolleyes:??? Should I do that with my mixer??:D