Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

Decker83

Commander
Hope your knee gets better real soon..
This is really looking good..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, looks like it is coming together nicely. A nice layout I'd say. How did you bum up your knee? You have to take it easy and allow it to heal. So tread lightly until then. Great workmanship as always from you. :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I don,t know what I did to my knee .. It just started hurting ... Started on the back side then spread around .. Ice seems to help the swelling mostly..

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry to hear about the knee. Sounds like a case of oldageitis...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam when you say about your knee swelling up, that brought back memories from decades ago when I use to install carpet. The older guys I worked with would have their knees swell up to the point that they had to go to the hospital and have their knees drained from fluid build up. But carpet installation involved a LOT of knee kicking. And it takes its toll. Take care and if it gets worst, it may be time to have it investigated. :noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm sure old age has a good bit to do with it but mostly it's just the kind of work I do ... Working on concrete floors and rough terrain ,up and down ladders and scaffolding ... The knee's start hurting usually at the start of buildings .. I do all my own wall layout so spend most of the day crawling around striking chalk lines and laying out door frames and such ... There are very few I trust doing the layout so that's why I do it myself ... If something ends up in the wrong place I can't put the blame on anyone but me ...
Ok enough about my ailments .. I'll live ... :violin:
I picked up the 1/4 " dura rock and a bunch of PL 375 adhesive ... I got to thinking ... I have 3/4" plywood as a base.. I want to insure that the plywood and the concrete never separate /come apart ... My original thought was to glue and screw the dura rock down and the concrete would stick to the dura rock fairly well .
Then I got to thinking what if I screw metal lath down to the ply instead ... My first thought is concrete will sure stick to lath better then the dura rock .. But It would not be a good idea to have the wet mix seep into the ply ... I could put felt paper on the ply first or maybe just a good sealer ..
Maybe I'm over thinking it ..
Any thoughts ?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What about using some thick poly plastic sheeting on top of the plywood. :noidea:

That would protect the plywood from the wet concrete and once it dried, the concrete would be so heavy that the poly plastic would never be removed again. And it would add to some water protection as well. I don't know. I 've never done anything like that myself. :eek: But I am watching your work efforts and learning.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sorry bout the pain...works lookin great Sam. Tar paper, metal mesh..that's the old school way of doing wet bed floors in bathrooms. Should last @ 50 years.

jbcurt00

Staff member
30lb felt, 4 or 6in wire mesh and rebar

Keeping the slab continious will likely keep it anchored to the plywood.

You could wire tie the rebar down to the plywood thru the felt

Is your knee just swollen or red and warm?

Google hand maidens knee :blue: :(

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good, you dont want the other, twice in the same knee. Zero fun factor

Up and iced?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I put the ice on it when I can ...That seems to help the most ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam don't let your knee turn into some serious problem. I know you have dealt with it before, but make sure to take care of it. Your knee is way more important then the outdoor kitchen. JMHO!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I hate those knees when they POP when you try to get up from a kneeling position. Seems like I have gotten my dads genes. He had 1 knee replaced and the pain was intense. Rehab was intense and the duration to get back on his feet so to speak took months. Dad "Swore" he'd wouldn't wish it on anyone or do it again. 13 years to the date of the knee warranty replacement his knee went again......Now Pop was 78. He went back in and did both knees. He was walking in 2 days and out of the hospital in 3 days. Light rehab.
Kinda makes me feel better about the genes he passed on to me in regards to todays medical techniques. Still though ...I'll wait till I can't get up or walk.
Hope you feel better soon. Besides working on the boat instead of the kitchen will make you feel better

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I just decided to stick with the plan so I installed the dura rock on the plywood .. Used plenty on PL and screws ..

Now if I was smart I would have doweled or bisquited the ply together at the joint but I did screw and glue a plate down across the joint .. I had some left over simpson clips from when I built my house so I cut them down a bit and run them up through the base to secure the rebar ..

I don't think it's gunna go anywhere ..

I made some angle clips from the piece I cut off the clip and screwed them down into the plywood

This should really help hold things together I would think ..
Now I plan to run rebar on both sides and weld them to the cross pieces ... I pulled some heavy gauge 6x6 welded reinforcement wire from out of the dumpster at work ... That will tie to the top of the 3/8" rebar ...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice idea with the hurricane ties. Sounds like it should be nice and solid. (gotta love dumpster diving):D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, I think that sound great. Neat idea with the rebar too and how you supported them. That IS why I love reading all these forums on every type subject. It is ideas others have the make the difference. :thumb: