member rank and icons

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I have noticed a lot of users are stuck at kaydet when they have quite a few posts. And, many users aren't getting a rank icon below their name. Moi included. Just thought I would point that out. Thanks for keeping on.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The ranking means very little.----I believe it is based on the number of postings / replies !!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think as you get to the "Supreme Mariner" ranking, it doubles what you received as a newbi. But since we don't get a paycheck, double of nothing means Zilch... :lol: :laugh: :pound: :sorry:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sorry I mentioned it.

I have really no idea how they work. All I know is one day I get promoted and as the years went along I kept getting promotions. And that tells me the powers that be, like my work. Otherwise I am sure by now I would have been fired... :whistle::noidea:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The rank and marine title it's associated with the number of posts, starts with hundreds and escalates at some number of points by the thousand along different titles.

Was wondering how do you earn those small orange blocks located above the marine title. There are boaters with low number of posts and full blocks. Is it a matter of quality posts, how interesting, useful, they are, how helpful you are with other forum members, if the boater shops at the IBoats store ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I knew how the rank system worked. It appears broken and no one cares - so neither will I.

The little blocks are earned by virtue of likes you got on your posts.

southkogs

Staff member
The rank system works for the most part (the flag in your USER block that notes you as a Rear Admiral). The reputation bars / blocks have never been used. They are part of the system, but we don't mess with them. They are there for things like "Likes" and such - and if you hover your cursor over them, they can be a little entertaining. Otherwise, they are one of the things in vBulletin that, no matter how much everything else breaks, work all the time. But we don't use :)

The title under your name (in your block says captain), is a separate block. It's supposed to match your rank, or have a custom title (like the Moderators, and a few very "seasoned" members). There's a script that is supposed to coordinate the rank for the rest of the members. It apparently hasn't been working, and the developers are knee deep in other poop at the moment. It "means" something, but nothing critical.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The rank system works for the most part (the flag in your USER block that notes you as a Rear Admiral). The reputation bars / blocks have never been used. They are part of the system, but we don't mess with them. They are there for things like "Likes" and such - and if you hover your cursor over them, they can be a little entertaining. Otherwise, they are one of the things in vBulletin that, no matter how much everything else breaks, work all the time. But we don't use :)

The title under your name (in your block says captain), is a separate block. It's supposed to match your rank, or have a custom title (like the Moderators, and a few very "seasoned" members). There's a script that is supposed to coordinate the rank for the rest of the members. It apparently hasn't been working, and the developers are knee deep in other poop at the moment. It "means" something, but nothing critical.

So you had me wondering why on some users I don't see the rank tab. Below is what I see for mine. Turns out to be a Brave browser thing. Only some users it is blank is the weird part. Hence I figured to point out the weirdness thinking a bug. Note, I manage another v-bulletin forum that got hacked this week. So know what kind of crap can happen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 10.18.49 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	10869208

southkogs

Staff member
Very interesting. I've run the forums on 4 different browsers, and that doesn't happen on them. I haven't tried Brave though.

Here's how I see your block:
Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 8.09.29 AM.png