iBoats forum keeps wanting me to update my browser (even though it is current)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Just now, after logging into the forums, instead of being directed to the main forum page, I was presented with a splash screen asking me to update Firefox by clicking a button. This has happened once or twice before (on a different machine), and both times I just ignored it and re-clicked on my bookmark link to the forums. Today, however, it really surprised because I know my browser recently updated. (I also just now checked and I do have the current version for Win10.)

What I find really odd about this is that, even though I was presented with a splash screen that looked like a Mozilla prompt, the URL was still that of the iboats forum. Even more unusual, this prompt was not presented upon startup of Firefox, which is when the browser normally would prompt an update; instead, it occurred after I was already on the site and after I had to login. It has never happened when visiting any other sites, only iboats.

Has anyone else seen this? I have no idea what's going on, but this kind of behavior always makes me think of some sort of malware redirect. Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
JASinIL2006

What ever you do, don't click on the Update button. It will download a Zip file and if you unpack the file it will install malware. I've got it for both Firefox and Chrome when both up to date.

This is one of the things support is trying to erase from the software and may be be a source for some of the troubles we're seeing. It's a tricky SOB, S-O-B or S.O.B., whatever you prefer.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks, that is precisely what I was concerned about. I haven't and won't download it, but it is very convincing-looking.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
This is happening again (or still). I had to login today and was again presented with the bogus update Firefox message. Haven't seen it for a while, so I thought I'd mention it because it seems whatever malware was plaguing iboats may have returned.

GA_Boater

Not that it makes anyone feel better, but it's popped up on non-iBoats sites for me. I'm beginning to think it's an Internet issue more than a forum issue.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
And actually, I should clarify: I have visited web sites where there was an advertising feed that caused fake 'update web browser' popups to appear, but I've never seen the web site spoofed the way it is when this happens at iboats. The URL in the browser reads https://forums.iboats.com but page displayed is clearly the bogus update page. I've never seen that anywhere else.

bassman284

Commander
And actually, I should clarify: I have visited web sites where there was an advertising feed that caused fake 'update web browser' popups to appear, but I've never seen the web site spoofed the way it is when this happens at iboats. The URL in the browser reads https://forums.iboats.com but page displayed is clearly the bogus update page. I've never seen that anywhere else.

Yeah, I just got one today. I've had them before. When you see it, close your browser immediately.
Sadly, one time I clicked the update button. DO! NOT! DO! THAT! It took me most of a day to clean that mess up. As I remember, once it starts you can't even close the browser. Best thing you can do is pull the plug out of the wall.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I do ignore it. I just mention it because of the possibility of malware infecting this site and possible the iboats store site, too. Just want to keep the folks that run this place apprised...

aspeck

Staff member
It doesn't appear to be iBoats driven. I just had it happen on a Bing search. I have only had it happen once with iBoats, on July 24th right after my Firefox browser updated ...:facepalm:

GA_Boater

It doesn't appear to be iBoats driven.

I keep saying that. I get the same update warning all over the place, not just this forum. And it's an update for a Firefox Flash Player extension that I don't have.