Blinking

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have responded to a few PMs (or tried to) and the screen won't stop blinking on and off. Last time I got a reply I could not read it because it was blinking so fast. I could see some text, but not read it.

My end or yours?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know why the link to PMs is non-blinky. The non-blinky PM screen doesn't have the store header and footer which are causing the blinks and other problems. I promise this the only time I'll ever say this - It's not VB5. The problem is caused by a software package called Drupal.

Drupal is an open source platform for building amazing digital experiences. It's made by a dedicated community. Anyone can use it, and it will always be free.

I'll say it's a freaking amazing digital experience alright! I extend digits at this thing frequently, like when it logs me out. Our ex-developers choose this free POS to build the interface between to store and forum.

The blinks are random, at times the Message System works as it should and other times not so good. I bookmarked the link JB posted so I can use PMs when it winks at me.

The problem is being addressed, but no time-frame yet. Please bear with us.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We stopped using Drupal in our system and changed over to Joomla because of all the problems that CMS has. Drupal has some of the sloppiest code writing I have ever seen in a software package.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree on sloppy code righting

remember when 3.5" floppy drives were what software was distributed on..... code writing was tight because storage was at a premium - not a single wasted character or bit of code...... then CD's came along and codes started to get sloppy........ today there is no limit on software package size......today's code writers have become sloppy and simply push bloat-ware as there is no penalty for sloppy work (example - a flashlight app has 27 meg worth of space to turn a cell phone light on and off....give me a break, its 4 lines of code)

MTboatguy , I believe that you offered to help the forums a few times. Maybe colonel_sanders will accept help

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
remember when 3.5" floppy drives were what software was distributed on..... code writing was tight because storage was at a premium - not a single wasted character or bit of code......
p

You must be a youngin.......smile.

Back in the day when I first started writing code it was on paper IBM cards. My University thesis had so many cards it almost filled up the trunk of my car. The biggest problem was making sure that all the boxes went in the right order and none of the cards fell out of the boxes.

PCs are OK, but I like PLCs better.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I started out when tapes were the main stream and the 8" floppies where starting to be introduced. I still have a couple of 8" floppies that I bring out when the kids and grand kids get together and they look at them and ask what the heck is that!?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
PCs are OK, but I like PLCs better.

PLCs have a 6 month life cycle then the hardware and software goea thru an update. At work we abandoned PLCs in favor of custom PCBs with relay and diode logic which can be serviced years from now with a DVM and VF4 relays. Besides a stable platform, it has global parts support

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Searching to see if this has been mentioned, and I'm still having the issue. This is why I couldn't respond to you the other day Scott Danforth

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Post #2 has the way to use the PM jump-free system.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I just blink my eyes at the same speed to muddle though ... LOL!