Security alert...

alldodge

Staff member
Keep receiving constant 502 Bad Gateway warnings when accessing I boats from a Desk Top Laptop, Notebook all with windosw 7 Pro, what is it ?

Happy Boating

They have it off line and are working on things. Once placed back online it goes away would be my guess

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The "fixer" ran out of coffee and dozed off. After the power nap, the refreshed fixer got us up. :smile:

SR - If the laptop is still showing the 502 error, do the DNS flush in dingbat's quote in post #18 and try again.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I have cleared my DNS and still getting the malware warning on google. Using Firefox, everything is good.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Now everything is working fine, The 502 Bad Gateway Code has gone boating...

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Solved at home. Still being blocked at work. Not browser issue. Guessing internal network security issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Gotta clarify - It was iBoats and Google, not Chrome.

Network security sometimes have lag built in to ensure the problem has been fixed.
Did some digging around in the log files this afternoon. It’s our network fire wall blocking it. I can go anywhere on the site but forums.

Give it another day then call in the IT guys to clear

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is acting up again today. Blocks in Chrome, IE gets through but then it will shunt you to a site saying the Version of IE is outdated, and offers a convenient way/link to a non-MS site.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although all is good when clicking My Messages the red alert pops in, very frustrating.

Happy Boating

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion:
Since iboats did admitted they where hacked, and they have since fixed the issue on their end. During the time of hacking there may have had some malware on the system. Anyone which went ahead and logged in during this time may also received the malware. Suggest scanning for it

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It is acting up again today. Blocks in Chrome, IE gets through but then it will shunt you to a site saying the Version of IE is outdated, and offers a convenient way/link to a non-MS site.

This is not caused by malware from iBoats. This another form of phishing. Instead of wanting you to click a link in an email, a popup is used for the same purpose. AV software can't keep up with all the ways people try to steal your stuff. My systems are protected, AV is kept up to date and scanned whenever a PC is turned on or restarted. I still get the phishing popups occasionally on any site I visit.

If anyone gets a popup about an outdated browser or other software, simply close the popup window and keep going. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK INSIDE THE POPUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the Chrome block - Go back a page for clearing the cache in Chrome.

Although all is good when clicking My Messages the red alert pops in, very frustrating.

Happy Boating

Back a few posts I gave a hint about clearing Windows DNS, your PC's phonebook. The problem is that browsers duplicate the phonebook with saved images of web pages to speed up the browser. In most cases the red blocked message is a stored image. Again back a few posts, I linked to clearing this browser cache for Chrome. Look for how to clear the cache for the browser or browsers you use.

Opinion:
Since iboats did admitted they where hacked, and they have since fixed the issue on their end. During the time of hacking there may have had some malware on the system. Anyone which went ahead and logged in during this time may also received the malware. Suggest scanning for it

Can't agree more. Keep your AV software up to date and scan on regular basis. As I said, I do an auto scan on startup. While I was was writing this my AV said the scan was completed. I didn't see any slowdowns because the more a scan is done, the faster it is. Initial scans can take hours and following scans are faster and faster because the scan looks for changes or new things on your PC, so less needs to be checked.

Using the Internet can be like walking naked in the worst part of town only carrying a bag full of cash. Heed the advice of Sgt. Phil Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues, in which he ended the introductory roll call to each week's show with "Let's be careful out there".