Preventative Measure for Posting to Old Threads . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
One of the forums that I frequent has this nice feature to prevent/warn folks about posting to old posts. It is a message with a check box that gives you a heads up before you can/should post to an old thread, as shown below.

screenshot-7-20.png .

I am just wondering if a feature like this would be possible and helpful on this forum, as I know we often have newbies posting to old threads.

Thoughts?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nuce feature

Maybe we could also add:
Dont sell/swap stuff
Dont post dup topics

And thats just today

Cant add back the red OP designation and location which was also helpful, so......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
VB5 has no Artificial Intelligence (AI). Many are saying it has no intelligence at all!

VB4 and below had the ability to throw up a warning to proceed at your own risk when a Non-OP read a thread more than 90 days old. It has been on the Fix/Improve list since the minute VB5 was thrown at us.
From my old coding days;

SUBROUTINE READ-POST
IF Username NEQ OP-Username and ((Today MINUS Last-Post-Date) GTR Than 90) DISP "90 Day Warning"​
LOOP​
IF (CANCEL OR ESC) EQL TRUE​
BRANCH PRIORSCREEN; Go back​
ENDIF​
IF POST-REPLY EQL TRUE​
BRANCH RULES; RTFM​
ENDIF​
ENDLOOP​
ENDIF​
ENDSUB

Syntax is all wrong and language is mixed up and I'm not up on new stuff, but that's the basic idea.

We used to have a warning that a new post duplicated one made in the last 5 minutes or so. VB5 dumped that one.

And when starting a new thread and posting, VB5 takes you back to New Topic instead of showing the thread you just started, so the poster does it again. This is why dupes are a minute apart.

Buy/Sell/Swap is a different animal. The text has to be parsed looking for key words and would be difficult to detect. A Buy/Sell/Swap section would be better, so Mods could edit or delete as required. It would be a mostly empty section. :D

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There has been an Surge of Old Threads being brought forward, as well as a lot of Threads being started in the Wrong Forum, MerCruiser and Force topics in Mercury Outboards, as an example