Mobile format

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not really liking the mobile format, at least on an android.

Some functionality is missing such as the todays posts button

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That and the fact you cant stay logged in and these lousy yellow popup boxes are terrible

Attachments

• photo314194.png
    photo314194.png
    805.7 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The yellow pop-up boxes are thread previews and have been part of VB since forever, Actually a very nice feature because you can see the opening thread text and decide if you want to read it. Don't park on the thread title and it disappears.

The other mentioned problems are problems. iboats_tim Kiter007

harringtondav

Commander
Not sure this is related, but my laptop Google iBoats Forum page changed a couple days ago. It basically looks like a smart phone page. Missing some convinces, but I can manage.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I use both my phone and 3 other 'puters to worm my way thru iBoats..... The Mobile format went to he#

GA_Boater

I think the format went blah with the latest push. Black and blue and orange on PC, I don't use a phone for surfing.

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't seem to be getting notification alerts since the latest update. Confirmed settings and that didn't appear to be the issue.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I checked it this morning on my Windows phone with IE and everything worked fine, on my android phone, not quite the same on FF. On my kindle with whatever browser it has, no go for the most part.

GA_Boater

Just tried my Kindle - I can only login with my non-Mod username. No dice changing to this UN with Silk or Dolphin browsers.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the forum just went poof........ turning the 'puter version into a giant mess like the mobile version.

southkogs

Staff member
AD just posted the same in another topic. At 0730 Central it's lookin' okay to me on the computer. And on the iPad. Back to "normal"' Scott Danforth ?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
AD just posted the same in another topic. At 0730 Central it's lookin' okay to me on the computer. And on the iPad. Back to "normal"' Scott Danforth ?

'kogs..... its a morning game or roulette.....which forum will pop up.....when will the little ball thingy jump to another color.....

as for "normal" its at least stable right now. the mobile side is still hosed

southkogs

Staff member
'kogs..... its a morning game of roulette.....
Ain't that the truth :rolleyes:

iboats_tim Kiter007 - I know we're pushing updates and fixes at night, and there's usually some tinkering on the weekends. Right now, I'm getting decent results on the iPad and iPhone (Safari and Chrome on both). Nothing more out of whack than the things we were noting last week.

Maybe the admin dudes can see something?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
All, earlier today vBulletin was slow as our AWS server for vBulletin ran out of memory. To resole this we added two more servers. Should be faster now.

Also, on another note, we're seriously starting to consider switching to XenForo at the end of this season. vBulletin is terrible software. We'd love your input on this idea. Perhaps we can setup a separate thread to discuss this sometime in the next few weeks.

Please, please, please ditch vBulletin. I know it would be a huge task, but this forum software is just the worst. I can't help but believe it has had a negative effect on participation in this wonderful forum. I'm not a programmer or anything, but I'd be happy to help as tester.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
vBulletin at its core is not a bad forum system, I have ran several different systems using this software for years now, when you run into problems is the custom module plugs ins you want, the core program was programed very sloppy and it takes a lot of work to make sure they are implemented in the correct manner, exactly the same as it did with PHPbb which was a good core program.

But if you want a lot of customization on a system, there are better alternatives on the market. Having my own servers has allowed me to work a lot with this software over the years and I have cleaned a lot of the code up on the systems I run, but at best, it is not just a standard programming job when you go to modify it, you need to find dedicated programmers that are really familiar with this software.