FIXED - Messages page is messed up . . .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
messages working......now dont touch nothin'

Profiles are working again, too. Put Watermann's message work around in the Keeper drawer - You know, just in case.

Return your copy of Coding For Dummies to Amazon for a refund. It must be missing the VBulletin chapter. :lol: :bolt:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A vast improvement, but now quite there yet. Still a few little issues with the clicking on your handle to log out. But I can live with it...

iboats_tim

User
southkogs we released this fix this morning. It was supposed to be at the end of last week but got pushed back. Glad to see it is working again. Thanks all for sticking with us!

alldodge

Staff member
Not working like it use to, but good enough and I'm using chrome. Have not tried my fire fox computer yet

Kiter007

iboats.com employee
Additional information:

iBoats developers normally schedule software releases for Thursday early morning. Last week's software update (which included a major improvement for propeller listings in shop) did not pass QA and was instead pushed and released this morning. This was the 9th software release in 10 weeks so the software team has been very busy.

There are 3 software developers located in the US, 4 located overseas, and 2 team members at iBoats HQ supervising them.

Almost all of the problems we're seeing relate to the HTML/CSS/JavaScript for the various technologies we use at iBoats: Magento for e-commerce, vBulletin for forums, Drupal for photos and professional listings, and custom PERL for classifieds. I'm happy to report that we've made good progress with Magento resulting in growing sales (this is what pays the bills for the forum).

As to the HTML/CSS/JS impacting the forums, while we built and tested this software release on our development servers, for some reason the error we're now seeing only presented after pushing the software to production. We're not exactly sure how, but suspect there could be an issue with our CDNs or one of our many servers. All of this combined is a complex system. I've asked the team to specifically find out why/how the HTML/CSS errors weren't visible in development--so we can improve testing to make sure it doesn't happen again (although it's proven quite elusive).

What to expect? The CSS/HTML fixes were planned to take place in 4 stages in April in May. Today's release is the 3rd such release. We still have 1 more planned software release to get the HTML/CSS correct (based on what we know was broken a few months back).

I want to invite any moderators that would like to do so to participate in testing the software in our development environments. Please PM Tim and myself to be setup and given access to our development servers.

Kiter007

iboats.com employee
The HTML/CSS issues we saw yesterday should now be fixed. I'm now longer seeing the problem. Others?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Working good on my end, Win 10 w/ Chrome browser. Chrome OS working too.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looks like it's working in all browsers for me (even Firefox). iboats_tim did y'all know you fixed it? :D

DRS4164 try clearing your cache out. See if that helps.

Cleared my cache and still not working. Must be some sort of add-on I have. Luckily, I saved the work around link and can still view my messages. I can live with doing it that way.

alldodge

Staff member
Appears most all links/buttons take me to the last post on the page, even if I have never selected the message before. Select new thread (to me) and not selecting link for last post, it scrolls to last post. Now if the thread has more then one page, I'm just taken to last post on the first page

Receive email of new post, select link and I'm taken to last post on the page, even if there has been more post. So I have to see who posted then scroll back to read all. Now, if there are enough post which start another page, it starts on the page I last visited

No biggy, just info

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I noticed that I had a message counter indicating I had 1 message notification.

When I click on messages I get a blank page using Firefox 60.6.1esr 64-bit on OpenSUSE Linux x64

I could not get messages to work at all using Firefox.

Using a different browser Konqueror, which uses WEBKIT (similar to Apple Safari) it all worked.

Sounds like there's still some sort of Firefox JavaScript problem here

alldodge

Staff member
Note, if you just went from an email link to a new thread post, you will always see at least 1 message. It doesn't clear the one until after you go to another thread or do a new search. So if you have 5 messages showing and go to one, then if message box is gone to, there will only be 4 left

I have Chrome and Fire fox and for me they all work the same.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just tried it again and Firefox is definitely not working. I will not use Chrome or Google anything. (something about evil empire etc!!)

I did install and try OPERA https://www.opera.com and it seems work fine at least for iBOATS messages.

There's clearly a difference with FIrefox and maybe Mozilla is not keeping up with the industry......

I also tried the W3C validator and it returns some interesting info I suppose......Maybe vBulletin is way far ahead of everyone else.......... IANACT (I am not a coder though)

This site might offer some info to HTML coders....... https://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri+with_options

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Might be the LINUX version of Firefox. Firefox is working OK for me in Win10.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

They may be slightly "different" although this is the first time there's ever been a compatibility "difference"

There was also a certificate issue recently that affected ALL versions and platforms of Firefox that they only just fixed in the last week It caused all the addons to be "broken" I just wonder what else broke!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefo...ificate-issue/

Just checked using my WinBlows 10 laptop. It's all working there too. I just don't allow it on the internet much. It usually takes too long for all the virus updates and scans!!

Firefox on Win10 is 66.0.4 (64bit)

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Using win 7 home 64 bit and chrome
and win 7 pro 64 bit with firefox

Also clearing cookies and other crud every couple days

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

iboats_tim Kiter007

Well, allrighty then! A little update is in order....

I just did an upgrade to a newer version of Firefox: 66.0.5 (64-bit) running on OpenSUSE Leap 15.0

Everything seems to be working OK again in the neighborhood!

In the last month or so, there's evidently been a major change in the way Firefox does "bidness"

I did get a chance to play with Opera a little. I suppose it's ok, and of course it is available for WIN10, MAC, iOS, Android, Linux and Unix but again I digress!

Cheers Y'all

Rick