Private massages don't work

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Once again another flaw in the system? I get some notifications about private messages but I can't view them. Is this site falling apart?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Falling apart?

You joined in April 2018, you have no idea the road it took to get here. Nor the enormous effort thats been involved.

Make sure you are logged on, ut may seem like you are, as you can view topics and posts, but you cant view or send PMs.

Actively confirm you are logged out by clicking your user name from an open Iboats browser window. Clear your browsers cache, close your browser and actively log in again.

Typically that works

southkogs

Staff member
Private massages on the forums? :eek: We're gonna' get calls from the Admirals! :D

Empty your trash in your inbox too. That's been something we found out recently. If you delete messages, they still affect your PM storage until you empty the trash. Works like most web email systems.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's working today. But yesterday there was no scroll bar showing to the right and I could not scroll down any of the message content. I could only read what was on the first screen. So, no scroll bar appearing and even the mouse wheel would not scroll down. Both are functioning today

southkogs

Staff member
iboats_tim Kiter007

Actually that is something worth lookin' at. I haven't been able to recreate it enough to get any details, but particularly if I use the link in the email I get - when in Chrome I have the same problem ^^^^^.

You don't always get a scroll handle or a dialogue editor. I'll try to play with it some more, but I know what you're referring to.

glennrocksvb

Cadet
Thanks southkogs for sending me a test PM.

After clicking the PM link in the email notification, I get redirected to the first attached image. Yes I can't scroll the page but that is because the content is shorter than the window. Notice that there is no iBoats custom header and footer.

When I open the message (image #2), it opens and just like the first screen, there is no custom header and footer and the page doesn't scroll for the same reason.

So the only issue I can see here is the missing custom header and footer.

Attachments

• photo304958.png
    photo304958.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304959.png
    photo304959.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
glennrocksvb No problem. Thanks for lookin' it over. Not the same effect, though.

I got to play with it a bit over lunch and managed to recreate it. I just sent you a PM.

glennrocksvb

Cadet
I was able to reproduce the issue now. The PM main page puts the PM tab content inside an iframe that has overflow:hidden in the CSS. This is a customization done by iBoats. The overflow:hidden CSS causes the iframe content that is too big to fit in the iframe container to be hidden and not scrollable. I'm guessing this was done by iBoats devs to prevent double vertical scrollbars from the iframe and the main page.

But since clicking the PM notification from the email opens the PM without iframe (that's why there's no iBoats header and footer), that CSS code should never be applied in this case. I will find a fix for this and keep you updated once done.

sam60

Captain
I typed up a long response to a PM. When I was almost done, the screen went to iboats shipping policy and none of what I typed was saved. The second try at a response was abbreviated as I didn't want to have the same frustration. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

sam60

Captain
Also when typing something like this, it will jump to the bottom of the page and I have to scroll to find where I was at. I am not touching anything other than what I type and it doesn't happen elsewhere for me. Is a better version of a forum software out of reach for iboats?

southkogs

Staff member
sam60 - One of the things I do when typing a long response is to type it outside of VB (Word Pad, Text Edit [Mac version], MS Word - whatever), and then copy and paste it into the forum. I don't think it's really a VB exclusive issue. These web editors aren't built for tons of word processing.

Hopefully, the jumping around on your screen was a glitch effect from one of the developers working on something. They've been pushing fixes immediately (as I understand) and that can cause funky things to happen sometimes. If it only happens that one time, I'd give it a bit. If it's consistent, grab a screen shot for us. That'll help the developers find it and tighten up the bolts.

As far as a better option for iBoats - I'll let the company speak for themselves. But I will say, they are actively working on stuff. It's currently mostly happening in the store, so the forum is probably a little behind the "fix it" curve. But they are working on it.

sam60

Captain
Understood kogs and thanks for the response. Without the revenue function there would be no forum.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Is tbhis falling appart? No it isn't. That was rather a rude way to say you have a problem.

As far as being directed to another window while typing away or reading was driving me nuts, not just here. Never touched a thing and like magic, presto, alacabam, a new page. I took it into my IT guy 15 miles away, my cursor was on hover mode. No charge, the story was worth the 2 minutes it took him to solve said problemo.

sam60

Captain
Is tbhis falling appart? No it isn't. That was rather a rude way to say you have a problem.

As far as being directed to another window while typing away or reading was driving me nuts, not just here. Never touched a thing and like magic, presto, alacabam, a new page. I took it into my IT guy 15 miles away, my cursor was on hover mode. No charge, the story was worth the 2 minutes it took him to solve said problemo.

OI, you should identify who you are directing your criticism toward, as you have often done in the past.