Waiting for response from Gordon Peterson

Polar59

Cadet
After researching boat covers for my 2011 Sea Hunt BX22 Pro, I chose to purchase a Carver Custom Cover from Iboats.com. I was confident that it would fit based on Carver's reputation and looking at their fitment guide referring to trolling motors. I was also reassured when I saw on the page I was ordering from a comment that states "Easy Returns" When I received the cover, there was no accommodation for my trolling motor and it doesn't fit.
I spoke to an individual in customer service that was very pleasant, but stated that these covers were non returnable. After hearing that policy a few times, I requested to speak with a supervisor, who quoted the policy again and again. I requested to speak to the next level of management and was told there was no one. Out of frustration, I asked who the president of iboats was and was told it was Gordon, but that he doesn't take calls??
I did my own research and found that Gordon Peterson is the CEO or possibly the CFO. I left him a message yesterday and also sent him an email. I'm hoping to hear from him.
At minimum, iboats website is very unclear about returns and appears to be advertising that these covers are returnable with bold letters right in the ordering field. Their fitment description also needs updating regarding trolling motors. There are a large number of Sea Hunt BX22's in my area and every one has a trolling motor. I cannot imagine why ordering a custom cover without even an option for accommodating a trolling motor.
I feel that this is an iboats caused issue and I should be allowed to return the unused cover in original packaging with no restocking fees. I hope that Mr. Peterson cares enough about the reputation of this company to reply. Thanks in advance.

Please note Easy Returns on the ordering site. https://www.iboats.com/shop/carver-custom-fit-custom-boat-cover-8472.html

alldodge

Staff member
I feel your pain because it does say easy returns, and while the the "general return" policy is clearly visible by selecting the tab, the "products that differ" is not clear. In the bottom of the return policy tab shows

Click here to read about products that differ from out General Return Policy

It doesn't look like a link but it is, and goes to a page which list many things and one of them is covers. I'm not taking their side, because IMO, there should be something on every item which is not covered under the general policy to show it is not. Either a statement, or when the return policy is selected it would show what the true return policy for the item is

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't be happy about not being able to return it either. That link is pretty easy to miss. If returns aren't allowed for covers, why not make it more explicit on the main page instead of touting "Easy Returns"?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Admin was notified, apologies Polar59 that they havent responded here.

Hopefully you get a response and a favorable outcome soon.

Please repost here if you do and esp if you dont get a timely response so Admin cab again be notified.

Kiter007
iboats_tim

Polar59

Cadet
Thanks jbcurt. I have also contacted Carver about my concerns and probable negative implications to their reputation as a result of iboats misleading webpage represeation of their return policy and the need for a trolling motor option on their covers. They agreed and someone is to call iboats on my behalf. I’m kicking myself because I usually check reviews and company reputations ie bbb but this time I assumed I was safe ordering from iboats. I hope I’m not proven wrong

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I understand your frustration, I have been through it with other companies and I hope it comes out where all are happy.

Now one thing I have run into in the past, if it says "custom" or "Made to order" on a website, that usually indicates it is a non returnable item, I used to make custom items for a certain market and I had it directly on the website that it was custom cut and made to order and was not a returnable item.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you.

iboats_help

Administrator
Thank you for reaching out regarding your cover purchase Polar59. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to correct the order problem and our customer service team will be reaching out to you shortly. We look forward getting this resolved, and to working with you in the future. Have a great afternoon!

Polar59

Cadet
Thanks mtboatguy. I really didnt think I would need to return it. I wanted it to fit. The figment guide says that most covers come made to accommodate a trolling motor. Every sea hunt bx22 I have ever seen has a trolling motor so I was confident it would fit. Seeing the comment about easy returns gave me resssurance that if somehow it didn’t fit I wouldn’t be out $1000.

alldodge

Staff member
Been thinking about this one, and while I still have issues with the way it was posted, I can also see a bit from the other side. The order was for a boat cover for a given boat, and the cover came in and will fit the given boat. The issue is the boat has been modified with a trolling motor. Do agree, that most do have trolling motors on them, but none of them came from the factory with one installed.

So if the cover would not fit the boat without mods, then I would guess they would accept a return without issue.

Polar59

Cadet
What is your issue with how it was posted? Not trying to start something, I’m just curious. I feel like I gave iboats every opportunity to solve this issue before I posted.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry, did not mean your posting, it was how iboats posted or should have said advertised

Polar59

Cadet
Thanks for the clarification alldodge. So here is the update. Gordon forwarded my message to the same person that could only quote a policy of "no returns" in my original call. She quoted their no returns policy again. She did say that she would see if their warehouse had additional fabric for me to get it fixed. That gave me a mild amount of optimism, but I have never heard from her again. I also received an email from someone else who said they wanted to address my concern from this forum. I gave her my telephone number, but I never heard from them.

Sadly, it appears that iboats does in fact deserve their F rating at the better business bureau. I should have done more investigation on their reputation before I bought from them. It seems that I am going to have to move on with a $1000 learning experience from doing business with iboats. I will do my best to share my experience with everyone I know and on various forums so that others do not learn the hard lesson that I did.

I am going to suggest to iboats that they should remove the easy returns tag on their custom boat cover ordering page and even more importantly update their "will it fit" page to change the description from most covers will accommodate trolling motors to bold letters WILL NOT FIT BOATS WITH BOW MOUNT TROLLING MOTORS.
I have just been amazed at how little concern iboats has shown over the misleading information on their webpage. I have just been quoted a return policy.