roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Why doesn't iboats make your general location mandatory when you register?
Location, country, state, ocean, river, or lake boating, and climate, are so often important to giving an accurate and complete answer.

If people are reluctant to tell is if they live in Ely Minnesota, Miami Florida, or Austria, do they really expect a useful answer?

Making "location" a mandatory field during registration, would sure help us, and them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Paranoia. Why do people blur license plates and hull numbers and the like?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Then they shouldn't be online at all.
If they only knew the info that was a admin"s or moderator's fingertips. :)

Did you know that your Nassau, and mine, originally sold for $865 ?

0xxx - 1 (4).jpg

Attachments

• 0xxx - 1 (4).jpg
    0xxx - 1 (4).jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Paranoia. Why do people blur license plates and hull numbers and the like?

Because in some states that info is considered "public" and anyone can pay a small fee and get the name, address and other info of the owner.

Actually did that myself once when I was interested in buying a car I saw in a parking lot. And yes I bought the car! ;)

GA_Boater

Then they shouldn't be online at all.
If they only knew the info that was a admin"s or moderator's fingertips. :)

Did you know that your Nassau, and mine, originally sold for $865 ?

And old boats don't appreciate in value. :rolleyes: About the only original parts on mine are the old pulley steering and wheel, the tin hull and the paint.

We have scruples and the hidden info isn't worth a fig.

Because in some states that info is considered "public" and anyone can pay a small fee and get the name, address and other info of the owner.

Actually did that myself once when I was interested in buying a car I saw in a parking lot. And yes I bought the car! ;)

We have trouble prying out where a guy is trying to register a boat or trailer. We try to help, but often get no help from the poster. :doh:

Public info is just that, no need to pay to get it. But are they covering plates and rego numbers while driving or boating where it's no less visible?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...Public info is just that, no need to pay to get it. But are they covering plates and rego numbers while driving or boating where it's no less visible?

Unlikely, but some folks don't get along on some forums. Online forums are clearly not like driving on highways or waterways. Lots more time spent online and "getting to know" (hate?) specific posters over a period of time can lead to issues.

Not all forums are as civilized and peaceable as iboats. Ya know? Threats of physical violence and the ability to carry them out, do happen elsewhere. :rolleyes:

And "public" info can vary quite a bit. Fees... ah, it is a government thing isn't it? :lol:

I paid 5 bucks to get the full contact info of the car owner I contacted. And she was not happy that I could find her so easily. Fortunately, I had m'lady with me at the time and when she explained how we were able to get in touch with her, I wasn't shot at as some stalker dude. :eek:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Oh yeah, as far as mandating location prior to registering... a new member who prefers to maintain privacy can simply use an alternate location instead of an actual one.

Like me, I'm really from Florida. I'm from Ceti Alpha V! :pound:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah, as far as mandating location prior to registering... a new member who prefers to maintain privacy can simply use an alternate location instead of an actual one.

Like me, I'm really from Florida. I'm from Ceti Alpha V! :pound:

And the responses they get to their questions will be useless. Their loss.

If we knew a guy was posting from Croatia for example, we would know up front to speak in clear precise words, no slang, not assuming he understands anything about things we are commonly familiar with. We, or at least I, would have a bit more patience, knowing that there may be a language barrier.

What possibly could be the harm in knowing that someone boats in lakes between the Appallations and the Rockies. Or knowing that salt is in the water, or ice on the lakes during winter storage times?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Aw man, I messed up my joke! :facepalm:

It was supposed to say that I am NOT really from Florida but that I'm actually from Ceti Alpha V! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
And the responses they get to their questions will be useless. Their loss.

If we knew a guy was posting from Croatia for example, we would know up front to speak in clear precise words, no slang, not assuming he understands anything about things we are commonly familiar with. We, or at least I, would have a bit more patience, knowing that there may be a language barrier.

What possibly could be the harm in knowing that someone boats in lakes between the Appallations and the Rockies. Or knowing that salt is in the water, or ice on the lakes during winter storage times?

It's not about knowing where they boat. It's about their choice to maintain what privacy they can. If they choose to limit information, then the help they receive could be minimal.

Threads have been started on this forum where members berate, belittle, mock and otherwise tear into a poster because members didn't like the way someone addressed their issues. Maybe because the new member has English as a second language. We just don't know. Location is only one factor.

But we can't force a member to comply with a location requirement! How would such an enforcement happen? By sending a couple goons to the "offending" guys house? :cool: :pound:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I put my boat launch (ok, the river by the boat launch) in my sig.... anyone can google my name (Im not the gynecologist, or the tennis player, or the writer, or the attorney or the politician, I am the guy that plays with old trucks and boats)

GA_Boater

I don't want anyone to know any thing about me. So I'm secretive and undercover. My home port is really that newly discovered lake on Mars, but I knew about it first. :rolleyes: And as Musky says - Who would admit to living in GA? :noidea:

GA_Boater

Intergalactic postal system is next on the list after the Space Force. But faxing works. LOL

Waterfront lots are still available at reasonable prices, but after SpaceX starts Mars trips next year I know prices will skyrocket!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
But we can't force a member to comply with a location requirement! How would such an enforcement happen? By sending a couple goons to the "offending" guys house? :cool: :pound:

Why not, they are forced to give a working email address.
Why couldn't listing the state you live in be required?

If people are worried about real privacy and security, they would not be on forums such as this one.
Any PERCEIVED privacy is an illusion.
People with skills can id and locate you.
Knowing that you live in a particular region is inconsequential.

And public records are public for a reason.
They hold people responsible, and force civility within a society.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Some people just believe in forcing everyone else to be like them I guess. Oh, well. Maybe somebody will send their goons for me and others. :rolleyes: :lol:

Then again, iboats is a business, not some schmucks personal blog, and would likely do their best to not run off customers or potential customers by being overly forceful. I hope. ;)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Intergalactic postal system is next on the list after the Space Force. But faxing works. LOL

Waterfront lots are still available at reasonable prices, but after SpaceX starts Mars trips next year I know prices will skyrocket!

Hey, I already have my Master of Space Operations badge from when I was in the USAF Space Command so maybe I could help get the Intergalactic mail delivered on time? :lol: :cool:

badges.jpg

Attachments

• badges.jpg
    badges.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0