Searching forums

ferrall

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Am I blind or is there no way to search specific forums anymore? I see the general search at the top of the page but that just lets you search in all forums. THanks

southkogs

Staff member
Tossing some stuff out - and illustrating for those who don't know what GA's describing:

Click on ADVANCED SEARCH at the top of your browser window:
01.png

And then a menu will appear under your cursor. Select FORUM SEARCH:
02.png

Then a new dialogue window will appear with all kinds of options and filters:
03.png
A few things worth mentioning:
  • Very few members tag their posts, so that search is generally not helpful.
  • For topic searches where you're not remembering a specific thread, sometimes a Google search will turn up more options for you. Just type the subject you're searching for and add "iBoats" into your string.
  • Keyword searches can be topic titles only or entire posts - just check the box on the right side to limit to titles only
  • The "types" check boxes won't help you out too much in that we really don't use that functionality in the forums very much.
  • At the bottom there is a scroll menu called "Sources." That's the different forums themselves, so you can limit to a particular forum (Dockside Chat, for example) if you want to try to narrow it down.
Hope that helps a little.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Never had that ability, but there ways. Got an example you want to search for?

I was trying to search for something in my Kingfisher thread 5 or 6 weeks ago. Can't remember what it was now. But I do remember how annoying it was not to be able to search for something within that thread. Arrghh.

I'm a member of several non-boating forums and they all have the ability to search inside a given thread.