Other Countries Access Blocked ?

tpenfield

Staff member
I received word through my web site from an iBoats member that is in the UK. He said that he can no longer reach the iBoats site, that it is ‘blocked’

I had not heard of such a thing. Just wondering if that is a country thing or if it is specific to iBoats, or operator error of some sort :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not sure the UK should be blocked, however there are plenty of countries that it is. maybe a mod

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
While I don't know the inner workings of iBoats, it may have to do with GDPR (European General Data Protection Regulations)..

Websites and mobile apps and anything else that collects any user info must comply with it in order to be used/accessed over seas from US...
We're facing that with our mobile development apps where I work too.

Just a hunch... :D

iboats_tim

User
We are currently working towards becoming GDPR compliant so that we can lift the block. Until that occurs we will unfortunately have to continue to block European IPs.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks, guys. I relayed the message across the pond. I didn't think about the new data protection reg's that just went into effect in the EU, but sounds right.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
We are currently working towards becoming GDPR compliant so that we can lift the block. Until that occurs we will unfortunately have to continue to block European IPs.

When is iboats going to replace "GDPR" with "****" ? After just going through 6 months of sanitizing for GDPR compliance, I am quite sure that it is as bad of a curse word as any other..... :lol:

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
A while ago l would get the same message here in Tasmania, the boating capital of Australia,
it's true...just google MAST LOL

Anywho, l also saw a couple of comments on pommie yacht forums saying the same when trying to access iboats,

dunno why...l ain't no rocket surgeon lol

Eventually the problem went away and l was able to re-register and consequently the joints gone ahead leaps and bounds since other aussies and kiwis have registered.
One thing l'd to see happen though is that southkog is sin binned for his mean comment above.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Australia comment above was directed at another Mod, an Aussie...... and said in jest (note the emojis)

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
The West Australian gentleman l assume,
nice boat,
l did realize the comment was meant in jest but the emojee thingee didn't show up,
at least on my phone,
l shall go back to watching the footy,
cheers

southkogs

Staff member
One thing l'd to see happen though is that southkog is sin binned for his mean comment above.
Not meant to harm as JB said. I was just playing with achris. Who I have a great deal of respect for and appreciation for some help he gave me this last year or so. Sorry if anyone misunderstood.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
G'day,
there is no need for anyone to apologize,
The comment/s were clearly posted in a humorous manner and no offence was meant or should be taken,

back to normal programming now perhaps?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you,
l haven't got a clue what that means but l appreciate you posting it,
now just gotta find an 8yr old to decipher it...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Virtual Private Network with a U.S. Internet Provider.

It steers your internet connection through the US, Australia, New Zealand or any country not subject to the EU privacy blockages. Internet stealthing, if you will.