2007 4 Tec and NGK plug changes

alldodge

Staff member
Got my new plugs from iboats today and the top of the plugs are different. Not sure if this is going to be an issue or not

NGK DCPR8E

Photo1462.jpg

On a side note iboats might save some shipping cost using a smaller box

Photo1463.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Well, they won't fit and here it is that NGK is crap. They sell the same plug in 2 different styles. For the correct plug you have to get stck # 4339

I got 4179

Need to find a replacement for NGK even if I have to replace them more often

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looking at the specs for both on NGK - Identical from what I could see except the 4339 has a removable terminal and the 4179 is fixed.

Is that the problem, the plugs don't fit the boots due to the terminal? They say they are interchangeable. :noidea:

I know when I get plugs with screw-on terminals, I tighten them with some pliers so it doesn't loosen.

alldodge

Staff member
They are not removable, and all the ones you can remove you can see the end of the screw.

Did find something interesting and while I didn't check at the time it could be this was an iboats mistake. Looked up the plug again and it shows UPC 872951433912 which is stck 4339. Called iboats a few hours ago and was on hold for a while so decided to leave phone number for the call back. So far no call

https://www.iboats.com/shop/ngk-dcpr8e-spark-plug.html

ngk.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If they don't call back, ping iboats_help to get the right ones shipped to you.

I get an error trying to look at other Spark Plugs from your link. :facepalm:

alldodge

Staff member
Well talk to customer service (I called them, never got return phone call nor response to PM) and was things missing in translation. To keep it short, they will contact webstore and see if the description is in error (it is see pic)

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know why CS sent me the tracking number to my plugs delivered yesterday, and only the number, no other word listed. Do believe CS (not listing name) was telling me you got what you ordered were done. So I sent another email showing iboats part and UPC number.

This was only $25 worth of stuff and I'm not going to get ticked off because someone in CS thinks its not their fault, nor want to explain why I messed up (even though I did not look for the UPC at first nor the stock number). CS did mention a couple times about talking to someone about part numbers. Hearing this I'm thinking OK let me talk to someone at iboats about the part, and when I asked who I was told a dealer. I don't need a dealer to tell me what part I need, already know that.

So now I'm assuming CS nor iboats will discuss further so I'll just go buy them somewhere else. No since trying here again I'll run into the same issue.

Did do some more looking and NGK no longer list the 4179 part, only the 4339 for the plug. I'm guessing could be the old stock and they no longer make them. Could be places like iboats and others bought a bunch of them being clearanced out and now their stuck with them

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I had my 4-Tec I had the same problem. I learned to get them from a local dealer that sold 4-Tecs, not online.

Traded it in on a Yami and have been delighted. You can change the plugs in a jiffy and don't even have to remove the seat base...

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the response, good info
I'm thinking about doing what I did with my 20HP Honda lawn mower. The Hustler zero turn mower came with Denso plugs in it and without the first 2 years it started loosing power.

So thought I'm going to get more Denso plugs but no one had them. Went into a small engine shop and the old guy, says I don't have them but have some that will work. He hands me two Champion plugs. Thinking this isn't right honda makes good stuff and I'll just use these for a short time and get the Denso later.

Well that was 18 years ago and those champion plugs are still running the mower without issue. Think I'm going to get some RA6HC champion plugs and use them, see what happens. Did find out the RA6HC is same plugs used in some Harley's, and do cross to the NGK

alldodge

Staff member
Looked last night and there were two listings for the plugs and neither had the same UPC as the one I posted above. Looked again just now and only one remain with UPC 872951348186 and does not list Seadoo

Glad they found their error at least it may save someone else some trouble

plug2.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
It all worked out, iboats is sending me a return label