How to resize images for upload

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I see it asked often, so I figured I'd make a topic about it.
I've read that there may be some auto resizing ability coming when you upload images, but until that's confirmed/denied and worked out and functioning we should still resize our images prior to uploading.

There are several ways to resize your images to meet the 700kb max limit here on the iBoats forum.
While other user experiences may vary, I personally have had the best luck when I resize the images to ~400kb.

To start, I did a quick search on this, and found a tip from tpenfield that he wrote in a thread back in November of 2017:
Depending on if you have Windoze or Mac . . . Here is what I do . . .

Mac:

- Transfer pictures from my iPhone to the Mac using 'Photos' app.
- Export the pics using Photos and have the export options set to size 'medium' - they automatically resize to about 200-400KB upon the export.
- I export them to a folder on my desktop so they are easy to find.
- Within posts I use the 'paper clip' icon and upload the pics that I want to the post and place them where I want them in the post.

Windoze:
- Transfer pictures from iPhone to the PC using the typical drag & drop.
- Open each picture that I want using 'Paint' app (there may be other apps that can be used as well)
- Click the 'resize' link/button and choose about 40% or even 33% to get the photo down from 2-3MB to about 200-400KB
- Save . . .
- Then use the pics in posts via the 'paper clip' icon, etc.

The Mac is a bit quicker, because the 'export' feature on photos can do batch resizing of many pics all at once. I have not found the same sort of feature on the PC, so those are one-at-a-time.

Other ways to resize, are to email or message the images to yourself.
Most mobile devices will automatically resize the image for messaging, and you can then use them for upload.

There are also numerous online free services to resize images, but I'd be hesitant to use them since I don't know if they're saving my image on their servers.. I just don't use them.. lol

To show the "Windoze" :)D) side of it, here are the steps (using the built in paint application):

1) Open the image you want to resize:
Click image for larger version  Name:	image_resize_1.png Views:	1 Size:	212.0 KB ID:	10596929

2) Click "Resize", make sure "Maintain aspect ratio is checked, then enter new percentage you'd like your image to be. Enter 40 for 40% of the original size for example.
You can choose any percentage you'd like.
Click image for larger version  Name:	image_resize_2.png Views:	1 Size:	226.3 KB ID:	10596930
Click image for larger version  Name:	image_resize_2A.png Views:	1 Size:	5.5 KB ID:	10596931

3) Click "File", then hover over "Save As", and then click JPEG Picture"

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_resize_3.png Views:	1 Size:	202.6 KB ID:	10596932

4) Select the location you'd like to save to on your local computer, name your image, and click "Save".

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_resize_4.png Views:	1 Size:	214.0 KB ID:	10596933

Now you can upload the new image from the location you saved it to using the photo tutorial found here
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/foru...ec-2017-update.

Here's the image from the example:
Click image for larger version  Name:	PaintResizeJPGTest3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	402.7 KB ID:	10596934

Last edited:

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Since I don't know MAC or Apple products very well, perhaps someone could add to this (if needed) to demonstrate those methods. Based on the quote above, it does sound pretty straight forward though.

Hope it helps!!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what I do is take pics with my phone and email them to my gmail email address (I have 2 email addresses for personal use, and one for work). that way I can up load when I get in the office on the computer to upload into threads and the phone allows me to select 25% which brings the photo size down to about 400kb

it also works if you email them to your existing email

southkogs

Staff member
LOL ... I'm so spoiled. I work in Photoshop daily, so I just resize them in there while doing other stuff. (It's like using a Howitzer to go rabbit hunting :D ) I've been doing that for better than 15 years, so I'll have to see what preview and photo can do on Mac.

Nice writeup.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I use FastStoneResizer on my Windows laptop. It can simultaneously resize and rename a bazillion pix at once. Well, I've never actually put a bazillion in there but I have done about a hundred at the same time. Drag and drop and done. Bam! :D

For my Android phone I use PhotoResizer. It has a simple interface and works well.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
LOL ... I'm so spoiled. I work in Photoshop daily, so I just resize them in there while doing other stuff. (It's like using a Howitzer to go rabbit hunting :D )

HAHA!! Yeah...
I dabble with Photoshop, but I don't do photo editing THAT hardcore! :D

Great to see these other tips in here too!
The idea behind creating this was so folks could see how to do it without getting anything additional if they didn't want to, but most certainly some of these other tips and apps suggested are far better and even faster..

I usually just end up using Paint.net, which is also free, but it has a TON more features than stock paint in Microsoft..
But then again, what editing app doesn't have a ton more features than stock MS paint app?? :pound:

With all the tips (hopefully more coming from members) from the most basic, as I wrote, to using third party apps or services, I hope anyone wondering will find this and have the info and tips! :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have any of you guys on Windoze tried using the Snipping Tool? Quick, easy and works for any picture* you see on your PC

* Actually anything you see on your PC.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I went and looked at the native Photos & Preview APPs on the Mac platform. Preview will resize images easy peasy. When you've got the image open in Preview, go to the TOOLS menu and select EDIT SIZE. This dialogue will pop up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 7.56.41 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	10597586
You literally just type in the size image you want, and it will show you the file size and image size in the dialogue.

The native Photos APP doesn't have the resize option (that I've found) but you can edit an image all day long. Open it in Photos, and click the IMAGE menu, and click SHOW EDIT TOOLS. The window will look like this:
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 8.02.51 AM.png Views:	2 Size:	361.7 KB ID:	10597588
The three buttons on top, and the menu on the right are all controls to edit the image - color, size, contrast ... all kinds' of options. It's pretty cool, actually. Very intuitive.

Also on Mac - If you press CMD (Apple) + SHIFT + 3, you take a screen shot of your entire screen. If you press CMD (Apple) + SHIFT + 4, you can use your cursor to select an area of your screen to grab a screen shot of.