The Menu

iboats_tim

User
Hi all,

We have added a significant delay to the top menu before it loads. I know how frustrating of an experience that was so thanks for bearing with us as we got it fixed. We'll have more fixes to some fonts and things coming in the next week. Rest assured that all of your concerns are being seen and heard and I'm working to address them all as quickly as possible. I'm truly sorry that the functionality of things here has dropped off but I'm personally committed to getting it all fixed.

In the year+ I've spent on this community I've seen how amazing of a place this is and want to deliver the best experience to you all because this community absolute deserves it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hi Tim. Thanks for the menu delay. I used the ol' "one-one thousand" counting method and the delay appears to be about one second. Can it be increased to 3 or even 5 seconds? Other folks had even previously suggested requiring an actual click on the menu subject before the drop-down would appear.

iboats_tim

User
Hi Tim. Thanks for the menu delay. I used the ol' "one-one thousand" counting method and the delay appears to be about one second. Can it be increased to 3 or even 5 seconds? Other folks had even previously suggested requiring an actual click on the menu subject before the drop-down would appear.

The delay is in place so that people mousing past the menu (likely when moving from notifications down to the forums) won't load it uninentionally. I've been mousing over it at a rate slower than I would imagine the average user would move their cursor and the menu isn't popping up.

If we increased the delay any longer it wouldn't be apparent that the menu is supposed to load at all....so I think what we currently have now is a happy medium between "I don't know if anything is supposed to happen if I hover over this" and "my god this menu is so annoying."

The reason we would prefer this rather than a click-based menu is because this way you can click on the top level menu icons and navigate to those pages. Right now if you click the forums icon in the menu, you can view the forums homepage. If we changed to a click based menu, you would have to choose a specific forum to navigate to rather than viewing the main homepage.

Hope that makes sense!

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks Tim the delay has been working fine for me. Sure appreciate all your work

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The delay is in place so that people mousing past the menu (likely when moving from notifications down to the forums) won't load it uninentionally. I've been mousing over it at a rate slower than I would imagine the average user would move their cursor and the menu isn't popping up.

If we increased the delay any longer it wouldn't be apparent that the menu is supposed to load at all....so I think what we currently have now is a happy medium between "I don't know if anything is supposed to happen if I hover over this" and "my god this menu is so annoying."

The reason we would prefer this rather than a click-based menu is because this way you can click on the top level menu icons and navigate to those pages. Right now if you click the forums icon in the menu, you can view the forums homepage. If we changed to a click based menu, you would have to choose a specific forum to navigate to rather than viewing the main homepage.

Hope that makes sense!
Well, I've been using it for a few days now and it seems to be okay. I use the touchpad on my laptop, not a mouse. Sometimes my fat fingers stay over the menu for longer than 1 second and the menu pops down but I guess I'll adapt.

Any word on the auto-resizing function? I'm still not seeing the right side of the screen when I'm zoomed in enough to be able to read the page.

Thanks again!

bassman284

Commander
Hi Tim. I haven't been here for awhile mainly because of difficulty reading posts. The font improvements are great! Good work. Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, a loud hurrah to Tim, the general font color intensity is much better than before, my eyes are very grateful, now pleasent to look and write. thanks!!

Happy Boating

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yep, the font changes are definitely good! I can even use bold. Hmmm.... lemme try bold italics as well!

Woohoo! It worked!