The screen layout is killing me..!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No matter what resolution I try, I still can't see much with this big header going across the top of the page? and if I happen to stray a bit to high, then the drop down covers everything up so I don't know where the hell I am, throw in the page up key which is about 4 times bigger than it needs to be and there is very little real estate to view anything. I enjoy this page a whole bunch, but it is getting very difficult to visit cause I can see anything. I just posted a message in one of the sections and it took me to a duplicate that said create new topic, when I went looking for the links to get back to the section, there was a little bit of orange lettering I could see and I mean darn little that showed where I was and how to get back to dockside, other.

So, it is not working out so good for me. Mainly it is the darn big header that is virtually covering everything up!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I agree with you MT about the drop downs. They are getting to be a little annoying especially on my tablet or phone. On my computer the new layout is more tolerable. Jumping to posts and threads from the message center also presents some difficulties for viewing. It's like your opening a new window within the one you're viewing and aren't seeing the whole page.

Also you don't jump to the first most recent post you're notified about just to the top of the page where the post is.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The upper orange banner has been reduced somewhat, what's located under Iboats Logo is very annoying, if passing the cursor even fast over it will instantly open new popping data, has a extremely nervous and invasive behavior. When at a post and wanting to go to the main forum page, click the right lower arrow, when re directs to upper page, click the small orange Home/Forum located under New Topics. Other than those issues, the new page works fine for me..

Happy Boating

bassman284

Commander
What's killing me is trying to read the faded gray text. I can only manage about 10 or 15 minutes before the eye strain finally gets me. If I remember to swing the cursor all the way to the right before I bring it down I can bypass the drop downs. Some of the other problems mentioned are different from what I'm seeing.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'm not seeing those issues, besides the annoying drop-downs, but will add something about screen layout that was lost in the recent upgrade. When viewing Today's Posts, it doesn't indicate which forum the post was created under, Mercruiser, Mercury, Evinrude, etc?. It's helpful to know which forum the post was entered under,( IE Need Carb Help!) to know if I even want to open the post.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I've complained in the other threads a couple of times about the header. Sticky headers SUCK on small screens! There's not enough real estate for that. Its only an issue for me on a tablet in landscape, its fine on a phone in portrait. But it's still an accessibility issue. I can't be the only user with this problem. It also permanently obscures the forum site navigation links, such as "Today's Posts."

I'm also having an issue with persistent user login, i.e. on my phone I have to log in every time and it redirects me to sales promotions. If iboats wants to prioritize the retail side by making the forums harder to use, then they're doing an A+ job on that.

This is bad UX/UI on a big site with a lot of regular users. Why wasn't more testing done on a dev server?

I think my specific issue must be simply a missing media query parameter because the site looks fine on my phone in portrait or landscape view. The first image is my phone, Moto G3:

7FbCzlz.jpg

This is an Nvidia Shield K1:

UkbAD05.jpg

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
most all these issues have been posted in the new iboats website thread.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The JAVA buttons across the top were the reason I posted about them in the new iboats website thread. Nobody acknowledged that post. Main thing is, there is no reason for those to be hover links. They could work the same if they were click ons and they wouldn't drive everyone nuts.

One interesting thing on my browser (Safari 11.01), if I have a forum window open and visible behind the current forum window, and I pass the mouse over those hover links, both pages drop the menu down. Never seen that anywhere else. No complaint, just interesting.

Rick.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The JAVA buttons across the top were the reason I posted about them in the new iboats website thread. Nobody acknowledged that post. Main thing is, there is no reason for those to be hover links. They could work the same if they were click ons and they wouldn't drive everyone nuts.

One interesting thing on my browser (Safari 11.01), if I have a forum window open and visible behind the current forum window, and I pass the mouse over those hover links, both pages drop the menu down. Never seen that anywhere else. No complaint, just interesting.

Rick.

The drooping buttons have been brought up numerous times and were one of the first things put on the bug list.

You weren't the first nor will be the last to complain about them. Sorry we missed the acknowledgement.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The Mods have a fix it list for Admin to address. These items are on the list. It will take some time to fix everything. Be assured that iBOATS is working diligently to resolve these issues. They were even working thru the holidays.....