website issues today

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
something is broken in VB land today, worst than ever.
  • have a notice of a posting, hitting dismiss does nothing.
  • posting photos, the option to post the size still does not show up until I edit
  • getting "invalid server response" every 30 seconds
  • making a post gets the "working" label forever unless you hit F5

iboats_tim , send you a PM earlier

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, it seems that some indexing or other database maintenance is needed. I just got notification today that someone had quoted me on and posted to the "Donzi and Baja" thread of a couple weeks ago. Of course, there is not such recent (from yesterday) posting or quote to be seen. The member (porcheguy ?) who had supposedly quoted and posted to the thread is not even part of the thread.

iboats_tim

User
Hey Scott, I'm working on this one. Last night I found some potentially corrupted data in the notifications table that I"m trying to resolve. Our forum upgrade should be happening in the month and the hope is it makes 99% of these issues go away.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Tim,

if you need me to break things with you on a skype call or a go-to-meeting (so you can see my screen), let me know.

the photo issue is still annoying

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Hey Scott, I'm working on this one. Last night I found some potentially corrupted data in the notifications table that I"m trying to resolve. Our forum upgrade should be happening in the month and the hope is it makes 99% of these issues go away.

I wouldn't mind helping test as well so as to not have the repeat of the debacle from last time.

The invalid server response has been intermittent since the last upgrade but usually goes away 24 hours or so. This one is sticking around like Cousin Eddie.

Is the upgrade purported to make andriod use more friendly?

iboats_tim

User
I just got an update about our VBulletin upgrade status and we're very close. We are currently MANY versions behind on VB upgrades, so there are a ton of bug fixes and updates that we've missed in all the past releases...Joe, I think I did see some notes about mobile friendliness updates.

The problem with VB (ok, one of the many problems) is that our code is structured in such a way that our customizations to the forums would all be overwritten when we upgrade. Since these forums have been around a long time and passed through several hands, it's been difficult to work backwards and figure out all the customizations we've made to the VB code for iboats over the years and that is what has tripped this upgrade process up. If we had an out of the box version of VB, we could have just hit upgrade a long time ago and been fine.

The goal now is structure everything in sso that we don't find ourselves in this position again and we'll be able to easily upgrade to future releases.

Once we get to that point, I'm sure I can count on Scott to break some things and let me know!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I am willing to break things in advance on the beta site, let me know

Any way you can fix Windows 10 and the blue circle of death while your at it.....

I just uncovered 3 more solidworks bugs this past week.