Emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - We've been hit with these spammers with links to the sports streaming site Livestream.

It's good that you are flagging the threads when you come across them and we appreciate the help.

It's bad when we have 4 and 5 flags for the same spammer thread and from a Mod standpoint, we have to weed through the flag reports to find the spam threads. Personally, I've dumped 10 or eleven threads so far today and I'm sure more are coming.

What's really bad is I mistakenly banned Redfred1. :doh: I have some work to do fix that.

Here's my request - If you see any of these spammers linking to sporting events, please hold off flagging them. We have have dumped far more than you have seen and with a cleaner thread list, it is far easier for us.

GA_Boater

This only temporary. When this passes and hopefully the SOB's get tired of being banned soon, we can get back to normal.

If you do see misplaced posts, multi-threads started, etc. - the normal things that should be flagged, please do.

Thanks guys.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
All spammers should be hog tied and placed on a fire ant hill

jbcurt00

Staff member
@ahicks
@dingbat

We appreciate it, but see Dons 1st poist.

You both flagged some of the same spam.

We are trying to keep up w banning and deleting it.

Spammers are using a water cannon to fill the boat and we're bailing as fast as we can, albeit w a little red dixie cup :llama:

alldodge

Staff member
My guess is the two folks were not notified because you have to wait for the names to show up before you complete typing, otherwise is jus an @ symbol of such. Some times I have to backspace across the names a couple times before it starts to show up.

GA_Boater

The thread title is over-reaction, but I was more than a little PO'ed when I accidently banned Redfred1. Thanks for putting up with these SOBs! <- I do mean spammers.

Let me show you what we Mods see after kicking and deleting these turds and it is only the Sailing section. The 2 white posts are valid and the pinks are the spam. And it doesn't include some of the later posts today.

spam.PNG

alldodge

Staff member
You do have your work cut out for ya, and sorry I help cause some of it.

Wonder if since many have "live stream" in the link could add some code to turn them to ******** like what happens when some links are used?

GA_Boater

Whats bad is they spoof IP addresses and I don't know how they validate with spoofed emails, so we can't use either the IP or emails to stop them from signing up.

Unfortunately, using the censoring filter doesn't stop them from clogging the forum with junk.

I threw an idea to Admin after finding something that may work, but nothing positive yet.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If for no other reason then tying up bandwidth when they post repeatedly or us trying to ban and delete them, its a huge drain on iboats network.

Thanks Dodge, the notify failure/problem is a regular occurance when posting from my phone. I'll try again, but the server very rarely populates the names as you describe when on my droid, which is how I use 99% of my time online.

ahicks
dingbat

Edit: got 1, again for the other
ahicks

jbcurt00

Staff member
After the edit, both notifies are working for ahicks, :facepalm:

Jeez....

Thanks for the dependability vB5.....

Fun Times

Staff member
After the edit, both notifies are working for ahicks, :facepalm:

Jeez....

Thanks for the dependability vB5.....
It will be interesting to see if editing in a users name after the post was posted will actually summons them as it seemed to me in the past doing an edit, they never made an appearance thereafter.

Fun Times

Did it notify you?

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

GA_Boater, No your edit did not summons me....I only noticed your edit when I saw the updated post you made. Couldn't possibly be a another VB5 issue....Could it??:D

Finally, the spammer picked the right sport to promote. :puke: ; hurling.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
Another thing I noticed about adding a name, is I have never been able to get it to work if the @ is the first thing used. Need at least one character and a space before using it. Appears from FT's edit that it can be done afterwards through

GA_Boater

When I type the "@" , once I type the first 3 characters the drop down list appears and as I type more letters, the list narrows

all = every name starting with "all" and adding a "d" shortens the list to about 4 names to pick from. I start the name right after the @ and it works for an initial post and edits.

EDIT - One thing I've noticed is most times you have to click a name on the pick list or it won't link. Sometimes. :noidea:
men1.PNG

However, some phones are picky, for example jbcurt's phone often doesn't highlight a mention as a link and he has to edit make the name link work.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
@

Agree it only happens when I use the symbol as the first character like above

Fun Times

Staff member
it appears from FT's edit that it can be done afterwards through
However, some phones are picky, for example jbcurt's phone often doesn't highlight a mention as a link and he has to edit make the name link work.
Which by then appears to be to late for both cases because doing an edit doesn't seem to summon the users name even if doing an F5 refresh.