Test Thread For Photo Attachments

southkogs

Staff member
redneck joe - Sorry, I've been busy and kinda' "drive by" posting lately.

On Safari, logged into both Google and iBoats, I can't see any of your photos. Your posts have error markers where the photos should be. I can see Bruce's photos in #27 & #31. Waterman's stuff from MS Onedrive is working fine too.

On Firefox, not logged into Google or iBoats, I can't see any of your photos. The posts don't even have the error markers, it's just blank. I can see Bruce's photos in #27 & #31 and again, Waterman's stuff form MS Onedrive is working too.

On Chrome, not logged into Google or iBoats, the only photo I can see is of your 3 onions. I have no clue why those show up, but I can see those. The other posts are just showing the error symbol I saw in Safari. I can see Bruce's photos in #27 & #31, and still can see the Onedrive stuff from Waterman.

I don't have a MS Onedrive account (at least that I know of) as I run almost exclusively Mac, so I've not been able to test that. But I know on the Google side, it's imperative that you setup an album that's status is set to shared, move the image you want to post into that album and then copy the image address from inside that album (see post #41).

I believe that was what Bruce sorted out too.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On Firefox, not logged into Google or iBoats, I can't see any of your photos. The posts don't even have the error markers, it's just blank. I can see Bruce's photos in #27 & #31 and again, Waterman's stuff form MS Onedrive is working too.

On Chrome, not logged into Google or iBoats, the only photo I can see is of your 3 onions. I have no clue why those show up, but I can see those. The other posts are just showing the error symbol I saw in Safari. I can see Bruce's photos in #27 & #31, and still can see the Onedrive stuff from Waterman.

Looking at pics in the forum, or any forum for that matter, is iffy if you aren't logged on. What pics do show when not logged on is dependent on how the pics are attached. I have no idea what methods will show pics when viewing and not logged in.

Not being able to see pics when I lurked the forums is what caused me to finally join.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah work does interfere with my life sometimes. Not lately but it has in the past.

GA that seems to be the ones that are attachments, not hotlinked at least me thinking back over forums I've seen / joined / never joined.

OK this is from a shared album. I'm not sharing the meat with anyone so don't ask but have one in the freezer think Sunday sound like a great day to smoke it.

TsGoD8VDev6yWN1vev53mOUp_dajdxEv5ifFOI1ggEuE4QTljyh9CkaIS140A1iblfZywXhUH1QMnCksmYSUQmnYISbu_yMKMtUU0Kb6oX57iOAgfAD7Qc8gVCFxg6djLnKO5gpQUw_TS1Wqpp70gOJPOWBt_uM1qH4XpYiZiK5iUg75AMBjnnBHXquk2zRdf5EE4M3CeqnV_nw24pvfjQrgp7jQMgO_s0FAFxPUsOTqC4NQ4MpJW5stZNo1Pt_txgzihZ40C_OTpSpH2sIocESMj5LWAirxi4bdK8l4vn_eXBu5gDufr8b8vDNnEi0Y3b9EvwzMgiE5yclDD7Tn0yqYDt6aFPjOEeGx1AB5eP7mvIqtg94pGmi-FFGJld8v0-WUALAuPI1gHGCQe6atTGcUXqfOVKQUYwZx5fVpqlkVqbYqxe3HsvB9HlfFLTo5MUkmHYQf1OBdXH2nyXGRCshgdK85nWk9bYJpFl0ttmSlSLWhmexoaHiWz3NZl7BqbvZJHiqmvrcC5vJ2wFuBdAkshLwC4k2ZDoVWxbr12allwtZu_0MAKuiM7TNa_z1qFwrr2L1m3ueC-AHAoTXPD25KQa8vhZcZkdsJDVOcpz413tmWru2ObpKc=w864-h648-no

this is the same pic but not linked from the shared album but from the general pic are in google pics

TsGoD8VDev6yWN1vev53mOUp_dajdxEv5ifFOI1ggEuE4QTljyh9CkaIS140A1iblfZywXhUH1QMnCksmYSUQmnYISbu_yMKMtUU0Kb6oX57iOAgfAD7Qc8gVCFxg6djLnKO5gpQUw_TS1Wqpp70gOJPOWBt_uM1qH4XpYiZiK5iUg75AMBjnnBHXquk2zRdf5EE4M3CeqnV_nw24pvfjQrgp7jQMgO_s0FAFxPUsOTqC4NQ4MpJW5stZNo1Pt_txgzihZ40C_OTpSpH2sIocESMj5LWAirxi4bdK8l4vn_eXBu5gDufr8b8vDNnEi0Y3b9EvwzMgiE5yclDD7Tn0yqYDt6aFPjOEeGx1AB5eP7mvIqtg94pGmi-FFGJld8v0-WUALAuPI1gHGCQe6atTGcUXqfOVKQUYwZx5fVpqlkVqbYqxe3HsvB9HlfFLTo5MUkmHYQf1OBdXH2nyXGRCshgdK85nWk9bYJpFl0ttmSlSLWhmexoaHiWz3NZl7BqbvZJHiqmvrcC5vJ2wFuBdAkshLwC4k2ZDoVWxbr12allwtZu_0MAKuiM7TNa_z1qFwrr2L1m3ueC-AHAoTXPD25KQa8vhZcZkdsJDVOcpz413tmWru2ObpKc=w864-h648-no

southkogs

Staff member
Looking at pics in the forum, or any forum for that matter, is iffy if you aren't logged on. What pics do show when not logged on is dependent on how the pics are attached. I have no idea what methods will show pics when viewing and not logged in.
Bruce's photos in #27 & #31 have been a benchmark for me with Google photos. Those posts have been consistent since Bruce and I did a few PMs to match up how we were linking photos. Then I went and replaced some missing links in a topic of mine the same way. I've been able to test those images across browsers, logins and devices and they've held true.

redneck joe - right now both of those images are viewable. I would expect that the top one will remain so, and the bottom one might go loopy on us (Code looks the same on them in the hotlink though).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't I have a slice, Joe? LOL

Looking at the IMG code for both pics, they are identical. Don't see anything showing one is from a shared album and the other isn't.

I guess it would help to know how the guts of Google pics work. I have a feeling the there is only one pic stored and the difference between general and shared is a pointer flag or flags. Probably a private flag for those pics like your non-shared brisket too. :blue:

Whatev - For now both pics are showing up.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok the steps might have been described for Google pics but i got a screenshot. Main menu > sharing options.

q2Y8-9sznsCo-O0Tw4WSuKRHKF611reCVVa0xcBhWl5Ga0aiG4ApQtM52GYToqrdB5UoHr1UVM0WvRxSvNi8NIpEwONADzPe8zUAiHOU391-IqIb6eBS4Z4Yu8r0iDTMDCEZn1pVViqe7bvCoHag7yt2cd1hWZ_w-XwVA_5y-8He4djNd9AO1u1N7Z_FkyrQjyevgtZ5QLxggY4oiHNcp7Bqbp693a6uC9ucTgJV1difozRuLnlPSU4sYf9T3XXNXeZdPxqUKW6xc8TFZkpEAerFchSpBk-0T_ywBqta2bEvcok42uswBfEGveLzXKSwqXcMWzp1vip6Wspit2JiWChOEbj0tfpnslsg9Y2ZLmxxRdBtLMFK_j2zowj9A9lrxPmtFguopytX52BYtXDHpNFR4zbR4JteUs33rFJnVfBGx7xLlc8kA8AfrLrD6IyGWQZ8dlfE7RCtn2INozY4nhWEuPpiOq7rowobRnW4btD_1MlH9R0HiHxKZIrQ2PIw1-ISJjuwiEqdxXR3QaaPBj3tyvUpCt3qKQEWJNOAzkdPtdXN_-fV1WE_ZFQ9GfPVgjTc14GS9aAUY-upCbNFXcDwtVKDhEYNGkqAaLIVx55MjIOfbzUMSInt=w472-h504-no

So now the interesting thing is this is the first pic I've uploaded; all others are syncing thru the phones. This one gave me success message then showed me this screen but verbiage was about the one pic in particular. Synced pics give no option to share individually. I'm going to check on firefox not logged in if I can see it without having moved to my shared album.

Side note - on FF I can see both the brisket pics.

**edit - I can see the pic on FF not logged in to iboats

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well embedded didn't work and over in FF i can click on the link, it plays but no sound- i had to click on the non volume vid playing then it opened to a larger view with sound.

also you cannot right click to get link you have to share>get link

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
it appears to. I deleted a couple minutes ago and it is still here and I can see it not logged into FF.

OK - enough fun for me for now I have to do some work.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Joe, at least half aren't showing on my end.

With all these issues you're having you might try my method. It's real fast and keeps the number of link in the chain to two

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Looking that way. On my tablet this morning and even some of watermans now are not showing

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Say what? Oh the pics of yours that I added... yeah I think we should have a consensus not to use Google after 3 or 4 pages of failures.

Onedrive is a viable option, flickr is being used by members with success as well. Imgur I've seen used as well with the img link copied directly into the post. Of course the forum upload works as usual.

The only issue is the future with the 3rd party hosting from online sites. Of all of them OD is the only one I would trust since MS is shoving their little cloud icon onto every taskbar of every PC on the planet. Odd coincidence they timed that with the impeding demise of PB. :cool:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
imgur specifically calls out hotlinking so i'm not going there.

Agreed waterman unless i'm just being totally stupid (possible) google pics is not the way to go.

Post 111 has been deleted off my google pics to test the reference local. I specifically used that checkbox to test. Not sure on the others. On my forum it is sproadic as well.

I think I'll cruise the proboards admin forum and see what their chatter is.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
interesting. on my forum, very small and we've known each other mostly for many years so not too worried about it. Yalls code may be different but if you want to eliminate the hostage message.

How do I make the Photobucket generate image(s) go away:
1) You can suppress them, but please note suppressing the image does not remove the Photobucket link nor restore the missing original images and may be more of a stopgap measure than a permanent fix.

• You can use the censored word function (Admin > Security > Censored Words) enter photobucket.com for the censored word and leave the replacement word field blank.
    OR
  • Add this code to your Global Header:
    <style>
    img[src*="photobucket.com"] {display: none;}
    </style>

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
scroll down to 'hotlinking' and has some sites to research.

http://support.proboards.com/thread/594665/external-resources

first one:
Photobucket victims wanted!
If you are a victim of the recent price change at Photobucket and if you are affected with their new hotlinking policy, we welcome you to Fotki! We have been supporting hotlinking and taggers for about 20 years. At Fotki you will have the ability to hotlink your media, organize your collections with albums, folders and subfolders and keep full control of your privacy settings.
Fotki also:
- do not have any ads
- do not sell your information to 3rd party services
- have much friendly and competitive membership prices
- have very friendly and helpful human tech support

If you wish to import your media from Photobucket at once, please contact Fotki Customer Support.

Learn more about pricing and plans

southkogs

Staff member
redneck joe - most of your links are still going whacko for me. But Bruce's and your steak images are fine. Across browsers, logins and devices (can see it on my iPad and phone).

Flickr is a good option (they're owned by Yahoo, I think) and imgbb.com isn't bad either if you're wanting free stuff. For pay, there's a whole other tier of options out there. I've opted for Google for 3 reasons: 1.) It's free. 2.) Google has a zillion revenue streams, so cutting off a buncha' links to add revenue seems unlikely against their business model and 3.) pretty much anyone has a Google account anymore.

... but, it's not the only option out there.

I only put photos online that I want to link, otherwise I don't even really use iCloud with my Apple accounts or the Adobe stuff I get with those accounts. Intellectual property is a big deal to me, and I just don't like the sharing services ability to turn access on and off. So a sharing site can cut me off tomorrow, and I'm not really out anything.

HOWEVER - I still think Google Photos works. Let's see if the next post helps a little:

southkogs

Staff member
Open up Google photos, and you go directly to the home screen where you can select the ALBUMS icon (see arrow):
Google_01.jpg

That opens up the albums page, where you can organize photos and create albums. The create albums option is on the bottom left. Make sure you set the album to be "shared" when you create it, then you can add photos like I have in the two on the bottom right:
Google_02.jpg
Then, click into the album you like ...