Pressure testing Sticky's

alldodge

Staff member
We have a mix bag of info for pressure testing outdrives. The links below have different info and pressures/vacuum. Suggesting to bring things together with just one and on set of pressure and/or vacuum

This is in Adults only top section
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...drives/239516-drive-pressure-check-prior-post

This link mentions 15 psi and use vacuum but does not list in Hg
A sub link inside it list 10 psi for an hour

This is inside the Mercruiser area
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ves/537689-od-presure-test?t=524743&p=5509236

This link shows 7-10 psi for 5 minutes
Then further discussions list 10-15 psi and then lower pressure at 3-4 psi, then vacuum test at 6 in Hg

achris Bondo ziggy Bt Doctur FreeBeeTony

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey AD,

Yes, I did see that. The problem is multiple. First, not all gauges read the same, and anyway, it's not about the absolute pressure, it's about 'low' pressure and 'high' pressure. And the same with vacuum. 'High' vacuum and 'low' vacuum.

It's about putting 'some' pressure in and checking for leaks... The actual pressure (reading) doesn't really matter.

I know that doesn't help, but it's the best I can offer at the moment..

Cheers,

Chris........

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks Chris, was hoping we could get a tad bit more discussion on this one. I like your thread mainly because it has some actual numbers and a process. Don't see where it helps anyone having two different sticky's listing how to test but they only barley touch on one another. I think it would be best to merge them and or even clean them up with some short how to's for those looking

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... I think it would be best to merge them and or even clean them up with some short how to's for those looking

I'll have a look at doing that while I wait for my pork to roast... (That is not a euphemism. I actually have a piece of pork leg in the oven. :))

Chris.......