Critical Errors?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly can't add anything new that hasn't been previously reported. And since the IT folks already know about it, nothing new to add.

I was only wondering if they have the ability to trace where the "Critical Errors" message is coming form in the software and therefore can see what triggers it.

I realize it is a canned message that probably is the go to call for most anything that doesn't flow correctly. But if you know where it is triggered from, then you could use a "Logic Analyzer" preset to trigger when that branch is called to trace what triggers them. Just an idea. I use to write software for years and used a lot of different equipment to catch such things. Sometime it would take days or even weeks before a fault was triggered and that was a real good device to catch it. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I really doubt the IT people of the site wrote the server software and would have access to the code. I could be wrong. "Logic analyzer" in software? I just use software breaks in a debug mode.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I really doubt the IT people of the site wrote the server software and would have access to the code. I could be wrong. "Logic analyzer" in software? I just use software breaks in a debug mode.

bruceb58, We use to take firmware code and break it out when we couldn't get the raw code. It can and has been done lots of times. There are even decoding software tools to assist in such things to reverse back to line code. Some times you need to provide a starting point and ending point and the type processor it is running on. But even if you don't know those things, it is possible to reverse engineer most any firmware and/or software. It isn't impossible, I've done it before. It was our job to do that. And there are lots of people that can do it all over the place. JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
bruceb58, We use to take firmware code and break it out when we couldn't get the raw code. It can and has been done lots of times. There are even decoding software tools to assist in such things to reverse back to line code. Some times you need to provide a starting point and ending point and the type processor it is running on. But even if you don't know those things, it is possible to reverse engineer most any firmware and/or software. It isn't impossible, I've done it before. It was our job to do that. And there are lots of people that can do it all over the place. JMHO
LOL...you expect the IT people at iBoats to decompile server code? That's just hilarious.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
LOL...you expect the IT people at iBoats to decompile server code? That's just hilarious.

I absolutely knew without any doubt that you were going to come back with something. You always seem to have to have the last word on these forums with the only correct answers. Not a surprise for me or most anybody else that has read your replies. You do have a reputation. And I'll leave it at that! Have a great day!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I absolutely knew without any doubt that you were going to come back with something. You always seem to have to have the last word on these forums with the only correct answers. Not a surprise for me or most anybody else that has read your replies. You do have a reputation. And I'll leave it at that! Have a great day!
I am sure the IT guys are working on the issue with whatever tools they have at their disposal. My bet it's not even anything they have control over depending on who runs the servers.

Best to leave them alone to fix the problem rather than come up with off the wall theories.

And I'll leave it at that! Have a great day!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The fault has been identified. The Hoover randomizer module is intermittently branching to activate the this_sucks_big_time.exe code loop. :lie:

Seriously, this is getting to all of us. If it's any consolation, this is something on the server side, either hardware, server code or VB code - Nothing on the user side. The crew is trying to ID and fix the cause and get this ship back on an even keel.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just FYI...
​Approx. 12:15am 8/2/17

​I'm getting them again..
Brief this time, but I'm getting them...

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And back again since about 2pm Eastern today.. Still getting them.
​Again, Just FYI... Not complaining.. lol

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Was just about to comment again that between 11:15 and 11:30pm it went from CE's to Can't load Page, to working just fine..
​Sounds like a server reboot perhaps.. (IIS, Apache whatever is used) or the whole server itself.. I don't know.

​Quite surprised for a Sunday, so NICE Job to the iBoats IT team!! It's appreciated for sure!!

​I guess the next.. Do you guys even want to have user reports of when we get these anymore or is it something that you automatically get alerted to now?
​Don't want to be a pain in the butt, Just trying to let you know in case you don't.. (if that makes sense.. lol)

Anyway, KUDOS to the IT Folks!! :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We get reports, jb. Critical error messages, JSON errors when posting and dog slow forum operation just like you guys.

But it doesn't hurt to post about them just in case no Mods or Admins are online to see the errors. Extra eyes, you know.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh yes.... I hear you! lol...

​If you guys ever want me to stop reporting them, let me know. Just don't want to be a pain.. lol
Till then, I don't mind being the "Extra Eyes"...

​Again, NICE Job to IT.. (iboats_tim ??) (I hear the Hoover Randomizer Module can be a real pain in the bilge at times... lol) :laugh:

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As a developer and primarily a server administrator for Linux servers I'd start by clearing up the console errors all over this forum, those alone can cause so many unforeseen issues. But I assume that's what you guys mean by the VB5 issues that you are probably still working out. Best of luck getting this sorted, I wasn't able to access the forum most of yesterday.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I couldn't access the site for most of last evening and the night before as well. I sure hope y'all find a big enough hammer to finally get it fixed. :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Admin was notified early about CE error msgs both nights, and unfortunately, it took longer to reset on Mon pm then it did on Sun.

There are lots of manhours being spent on many fronts to improve the site and eliminate problems and crashes.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks jb,

You're welcome, but that hammer idea is gaining traction :becky:

Its rumored that they are currently utilizing a recently acquired BMFH, but have requisitioned a RRBMFH*, and notified all involved, that its to be used immediately, to full effect.....

*Really
Really
Big
XXX
XXX
Hammer

iboats_tim

User
I appreciate everyone's patience with all the recent outages and I certainly share the same frustrations with all of you. This week we'll be testing some VB/Server upgrades in a test environment and if all goes well we will be able to make those upgrades here shortly thereafter.

Option 2 is the hammer so let's hope the upgrade works :)